Chapter 13

Deck and I walk out of the prison doors to see a man dressed in a black suit, wearing sunglasses. "Whatever it is, we ain't buying it" Deck states as we walk past him, continuing to the car. "You don't even know what I'm selling. Or who I am" he responds as he follows us. "CIA" I state, without turning around while continuing to the car. "How did you-" the agent starts to ask but I turn around and answer before he finishes his question. "Sunglasses, cloudy day" I explain, pointing to his sunglasses and then to the cloudy sky. "And sensible shoes" Deck adds, pointing at his shoes. The agent tries to defend his choices in uniform and shoes but Deck and I just walk to the car and start opening the doors. "I'm agent Loeb and I need to talk to you both-" agent Loeb starts to explain but Deck closes his door and asks "How did you find us?", clearly getting frustrated with the agent. I close my car door and stand against the car and listen to them converse. "I got a tip from an acquaintance of yours, Mr Nobody" Loeb answers, giving me a quick glance. Deck repeats the name while I let out a chuckle. Of course Mr Nobody gave him our location.

"Here's a little joke for you Loeb. What do CIA operatives and baseballs have in common?" Deck asks and I smile at him. "People cheer when you hit them with a bat" Loeb replies confidently with a smile and Deck answers with an unimpressed 'no'. "They are two things that he doesn't give a toss about" I answer and Deck smiles over at me before getting in the car. I get in as well and he's about to pull off when agent Loeb puts a photo on the windscreen in front of Deck. We both look at the photo to see Hattie, only older than I last saw her. Deck and I look at each other before getting out to hear what Loeb has to say about Hattie.

"The weapon she's stolen is not like anything we've ever seen. It's a programmable disease, that can target any DNA sequence with a 100% mortality rate inside 72 hours. If MI6 find her, they're gonna treat her like a traitor. But if you help us find her and bring us the virus, we'll grant her immunity. We've set up a black site here in London, we have everything you need at your disposal and we're bringing in an asset from the states to assist you" Loeb explains while Deck stares at the photo in his hands before looking up to reply "We don't need anybody". However, Loeb is quick to reply, "Maybe not Mr Shaw, but she does". Deck looks at me, seemingly asking my opinion so I just nod my head. We have to help Hattie, no matter who we have to work with.

We arrive at the CIA black site the next day and head up to meet the asset from the states. I round the corner and see Hobbs standing in the room and I sigh. "This is gonna end well" I mutter under my breath before walking over to greet Hobbs. "Hey Becca" he says as I go in for a hug. "Hey Luke, how are you?" I ask. "I'm good thanks, you?" he responds. "I'm good. How's Sam?" I reply with a smile "She's really good" he replies as a huge smile covers his face. I return the smile and step back as Deck enters the room. They take one look at each other and both say "No fucking way" and I roll my eyes.

"Nah, I'm not working with this guy. I've been there, done that" Hobbs quickly defends as I make way to stand against the glass wall while they argue. "The minute he gets involved, you can say goodbye to any finesse because she-hulk here only knows how to smash" Deck responds, making a small movement with his fist and I sigh as I stare at these children. "Mr arson here only knows how to blow shit up" Hobbs replies quickly. "The fact is-" Deck adds. "The fact is-" Hobbs repeats. "No offense" Deck continues. "Oh, no offense" Hobbs repeats, once again. "This guy's a real asshole" they say in sync, again while pointing at each other. They both quickly insult each other some more before Hobbs gets ready to leave, claiming he'll do the job himself. "Tell your mom I said hi, actually I'll do it myself" he says with a grin and I flinch slightly. He's digging himself a big hole. "Don't you ever talk about my mother, or I'll put your head through that wall" Deck threatens, as I expected. I would interject but there's no convincing these two to get along, I've tried. It's impossible. "And, we'll have this job done while you're still putting on your baby oil. Good luck slick" Deck claims before turning to leave as well, I'm about to stand straight to follow him when Hobbs interjects again.

"That's it. You just reminded me, that's exactly why I hate working with you. It's your voice" Hobbs explains and I roll my eyes, this is ridiculous. He continues to describe what's so irritating about Deck's voice and what it feels like when he talks. "Well for me, it's not your voice. It's your face" Deck responds and describes Hobbs' face just as Hobbs described his voice. I stand in shock at their melodrama. Hobbs' grip tightens around the chair he's leaning against. "What you gonna do? Throw a bit of furniture?" Deck questions him sarcastically with a smile. "For your information, I was gonna take this chair, turn it sideways and shove it right down your throat" Hobbs explains, causing me to swallow as I imagine the feeling. "Of course you are. Cause that's your answer to everything, smash a hole through every problem, in a big truck. Well that's not gonna work here" Deck replies and they both get ready to fight each other before a CIA agent talks through the microphone. "Guys, let's just take a seat and we'll talk through this" he suggests as I glance over my shoulder to see them through the glass. I stand straight and quickly step away from the glass wall just as Hobbs launches the chair at it, causing both men to flinch and duck for cover, making me chuckle a little.

"Me and you, us. I've been down this road. It's a total waste of time" Deck explains to Hobbs as I stand beside him. "For once, I actually agree with you" Hobbs replies. "Well, I'm doing this my way and if anyone's got a problem with that, I suggest you can come out here and stop me" Deck finishes and turns to the two men sitting behind the glass wall. They quickly converse with terrified looks on their faces, clearly deciding not to try and stop Deck. "Smart lads" I comment before Deck leaves the room. I turn to Hobbs and say "If you need anything just call" with a smile. He nods with a smile and I follow Deck. "So, I assume you already have a plan?" I ask Deck as we stand in the lift. "Let's head to her apartment first" he states and steps out of the lift, clearly determined to find Hattie.

We arrive at Hattie's apartment and enter, careful not to activate the grenade, Hattie has staged in her doorway. I find a compartment in the wall of the kitchen, filled with weapons while Deck finds a hidden computer system inside her countertop. He grabs a chair and starts typing away at the computer while I search some of the other rooms. I hear a gun click behind me as I open the beside table draw. I see a gun in the draw and slowly reach for it. "You want me to raise my hands?" I ask and the man behind me responds with a 'yeah'. I turn quickly and fire the hand gun at him, he falls straight to the floor and I hear a shotgun being fired and assume that Deck has to deal with some agents too. Another agent runs towards me and I quickly duck and kick him out the bedroom window before rushing out to help Deck. I fire the handgun at another agent, aiming a gun at Deck as he flips one agent over and onto the table. One agent tackles me to the ground, causing me to drop the gun and it slides across the tile floor. I manage to get out of his grasp and stand before kicking him in the face. I fight another agent before shoving his head into the wall, knocking him unconscious and make my way down the hall, where I saw Deck go.

I enter the bathroom to see him on the floor with a now, deactivated grenade in his hands. "Are you ok?" I ask as he looks up at me, breathing heavily. "Yeah, are you?" he replies as he stands. "I'm fine" I respond as he studies my face. "Let's go" he says as he takes my hand and we leave Hattie's apartment.