Chapter 18: Up in Smoke

"Whoa! Whoa, Crale what's the matter?" asked Mason as he, Stephen and Mikeus ran over to the ecstatic nitwit. A chorus of exasperation came from the other villagers in the room as they returned to their books.

"There was a weird person... on the edge of the village..." Crale panted. "He looked injured... so we went to help... but..."

"It's ok, just breathe," Stephen said reassuringly.

"His hands... and face... were grey! And there was smoke. Thick black smoke." Stephen and Mikeus shared a glance.

"Crale, where was the smoke coming from?" Crale looked Stephen right in the eye.

"From him! From under his cloak, and out of his hands. I've never seen anything like it. I thought honey was in my eyes, I didn't know what to do so I... I came to get you!" he rambled.

"Ok, we'll investigate!" Stephen said nodding to Mason. "Mikeus, you and Crale stay here." Mikeus nodded in response, taking his brother by the arm and moving over to sit Crale in a nearby chair.

"I'll head straight over there," said Mason as he and Stephen made their way out of the library.

"And I'll grab some gear from my house on the way." Stephen responded, reading Mason's line of thought easily.

And then they started running, Mason veering to the left so he would pass Stephen's house without needing to turn sharply. Stephen ran straight into his house and up to his armour stand. After flipping his helmet onto his head and quickly pulling on his iron boots and leggings, he snatched up his shield and his golden blade, Honour, then dashed outside. But as he rounded the side of his house, his ears perked up. Someone ahead of him was shouting. No... it was multiple people, all shouting and screaming for help. Following the noise led Stephen to the flower fields, but his eyes went wide at the sight that greeted him.

The flower field was normally the most serene place in the village. A beautiful array of flowers growing in clumps and lines to form various pathways around the meadow. Intoxicating scents rising from their petals and swirling in the air. Bees buzzing around as they hunted for nectar among the fauna.

But now, now the entire field was covered in a thick black cloud. The smoke billowing into the sky. Villagers were running in all directions, coughing and wheezing as they tried to get away from the smoke. One of the villagers ran straight out of the pulsating black mass and straight towards Stephen. And Stephen saw his face. It was dotted with grey blotches, slowly growing and spreading over the villager's body. Stephen unconsciously raised his shield, a knot forming in his stomach and twisting painfully.

"Help! Please!" the villager shouted. The plea causing Stephen to snap to attention.

"Get to your homes and stay hidden!" he commanded to the fleeing villagers. But he noticed some of them had fallen to the ground, hacking and spluttering as the grey blotches coated their bodies, their clothes turning black as the smoke clung to them, smothering them. And then a voice came from the centre of the dark cloud. A deep booming voice that seemed to echo in all directions.

"Fear not my brethren, for now you shall know power and freedom!"

Stephen stared into the darkness. Squinting he could make out the silhouette of a tall figure with an elongated head similar to that of the villagers. As the figure stepped forward, Stephen saw the smoke cloud billowing out from his hands and under his thick black cloak. Just like Crale had said. Thick black eyebrows sat over fierce red eyes. A large drooping nose stuck out from his face. His cheeks and mouth sported a patchwork of black stubble. Along with his cloak and the hood barely covering his face, he wore an iron chestplate and matching leggings with black leather boots.