Chapter 9

In Los Angeles, Brand is with Dylan in an office room. They're at his mother's work. They're just waiting for her to be done. As they wait, Dylan is playing with his Godzilla toys. Brand is watching TV. He's watching the news about the situation. He also brought his bb shotgun with him. 

TV: Once again, the L.A.P.D. is asking Los Angelenos not to fire their guns at the visitor spacecraft. You may inadvertently tigger an interstellar war. 

Brand sighs at this. He looks at Dylan. Boomer is also with them. 

Brand: Dylan, let me ask you something.

Dylan: Yeah?

Brand: Do you like my uncle?

Dylan: Yeah. He's a cool guy.

Brand: Well, if he ever asked your mom to marry her, would you be happy if he became your new dad? 

Dylan: I wouldn't mind. He'd be great. 

Brand smiles at him. Then, he looks at the TV, and sees more News coming on. 

Barry Nolan on TV:..."It could only happen in California" file, here's Wendy Walsh with a special report. 

Wendy Walsh on TV: Below us, we can see hundreds of UFO fanatics who have gathered on rooftops here in Downtown Los Angeles to welcome the new arrivals. 

It shows people on rooftops, holding up signs, welcoming the aliens to the earth. A woman appears on the screen, smiling. 

Woman on TV: Oh, gosh! I hope they bring back Elvis! 

Brand shakes his head at this. People like them are crazy. It shows more people on the rooftops.

TV: It's being called the party event of the century, and everyone is invited, especially you know who. 

Brand: This is crazy. Those people are idiots, thinking that the aliens are gonna understand them. What do you think, Dylan?

Dylan: I think they're gonna like the ones in the movies. 

Brand: Oh, you think so, huh? 

Dylan: Yeah. Brand, are you worried about your dad?

Brand: No. I know he'll be fine. I know he will be. 

Boomer walks over to him, and licks his hand. Brand smiles, and pets him on the head. Dylan hands him his Godzilla toy, while he holds his mega King Ghidorah toy. They play with each other, to make sure they're not bored. They play for a couple of minutes. Then the door opens, and Jasmine comes in. 

Jasmine: Hey, there's my angel. Come on. 

Brand: We're leaving? 

Jasmine: Yep. Come on, Boomer. Let's go, y'all. 

She picks him up, and Brand follows her out. As they leave the office, and are heading for the exit, her boss sees her. 

Boss: Hey, what the heck are the kids doing here, huh--oh!

Boomer jumps at him, keeping him back.

Jasmine: You try finding a sitter today. (Walks to the exit)

Boss: Hey! Hey, where do you think you're going? You leave, you're fired. 

Jasmine: (Looks at him) Nice working with ya, Mario. Come on, Boomer. 

Dylan and Brand wave goodbye to him as they walk out of the room. Boomer follows them. With Jill and her family, they're now approaching Washington D.C. They see the heavy travel on the other side. And people are walking between the highways.