Chapter 5- Grasping at Straws

Short chapter. I just wanted to get something up. I'm back.

The dream left me shaken up. It was just a dream but it gave me a bad feeling that I carried with me all day. The world didn't make sense anymore. It was like somebody took it, gave it a good shake, and placed it back upside down. The one thing that I did know, was that I needed to talk to Jake. The thing was, he wasn't coming to school and the teachers had no idea who I was even talking about. I knew he was real though. It was the one thing I was certain of. I couldn't have just imagined those eyes.

Finding him was going to be a pain in the ass. It's not like I could ask people if they have seen him. It seems he is only seen when he wants to be. And he obviously didn't want anybody to see him. Why exactly he wanted to remain hidden, I had no idea. Though, I had a gut feeling he would have all of the answers to my questions.

However, until I am able to hunt him down, I have to keep acting like everything is completely normal. It's making me want to scream or tear my hair out. Casey just keeps going on and on about random pieces of gossip that used to be interesting. However, when you get your ass kicked for knowing too much, gossip loses its appeal.

My parents keep hovering over me because I apparently seem "off". Especially my dad since I showed up at his office that day. If he only knew how "off" I really was... Not being able to talk about any of this was killing me tortuously and slowly. It has been two weeks I think. Though, time has been sort of an issue for me lately. The days have started to blur together and merge.

The library seemed like the best place to go search for answers, even if I didn't know what I was looking for. So, that's where I headed on my Saturday afternoon. I found myself wandering toward the science fiction section even though I knew it was impossible. Regardless, I scanned over various book titles and blurbs about aliens and whatnot. Finally, I came across a book about robots coming back from the future to take over the earth. I laughed at the concept and placed it back on the shelf. The library wasn't helping me, it was just making me paranoid.

I sat down at one of the many computers lined up against the wall and waited for it to awaken. It was time to do some real work. Homework. I had a paper I needed to type up that was due on Monday. However, when my computer finally came to life, I found myself typing something into the Google search bar. I was curious about how many people believed in robots coming back from the future. A lot apparently.

Typing my paper was anything but exciting, but I was glad I had it done. It was late afternoon now, but my parents were both working so I didn't worry about heading home. I didn't want to go home to an empty house. It was too quiet. So, I picked up that novel about time traveling robots and curled up on one of the libraries couches. It was entertaining and very different from my usual reading material. Nothing, that is. Nothing was ever able to hold my attention.

Next thing I knew it was nine O'clock and the librarian was waking me up. I was completely sprawled across the couch and had dropped the book on the floor. The librarian explained that the library was closing and that I needed to head home. I nodded and stretched out my sore limbs. I texted my worried parents about what had happened before scooping up my backpack and heading out to my car. My old little mercury sat alone in the parking lot underneath the only streetlight. I hurried over to it and jumped inside, immediately locking my doors and putting my key into the ignition.

The ride home was seemingly peaceful. My radio played slow alternative music while I drove. It put me at ease to drive. It gave me something simple to focus on through all of the craziness surrounding my life. It was soothing. So incredibly soothing. Perhaps a little too much so. My eyelids began to get heavy. 

Before I even registered the incredibly drowsy feeling taking over my body, my eyelids were sliding closed. My hands became limp on the steering wheel. My head became heavy and my chin dipped toward my chest. The car began to drift into the wrong lane. The squeal of tires and honking of a horn woke me. Hands darted out from beside me and snatched the steering wheel, yanking it back to the right. The oncoming traffic barely missed my car, for which I was grateful, but now I was headed for a tree on the side of the road. I wanted to scream but it was trapped in my throat. Everything was moving so fast.

Familiar hands reached for me, but I was too focused on the tree in front of me to register them. I couldn't bear to watch the horror unfold. My eyes squeezed shut tight. I tensed my body and listened to the squealing of my brakes, waiting for the impact. It never came. I am met only with an odd silence. The pressure on my arms did not cease. I peeked my eyes open slowly and cautiously. 

My surroundings made my head spin. I was no longer in my car. No longer racing towards my eminent death. I was in an apartment, from what I could see. A worn leather couch sat in front of a big box television sporting rabbit ears. I glanced down and saw the edge of a bed. Messy deep maroon sheets and a tan comforter were strewn beneath me. Then my eyes made their way to the presence beside me. I had been able to feel their eyes burning holes in my forehead. 

I am met with olive toned skin, black hair. and green eyes when I can the courage to take a peek. Jake. The boy I have been looking for. The boy holding the answers. I was however, too stressed to be happy. My mind was trying to catch up with my body. And let me tell you, it was having quite a hard time. Was I dead? Unconscious? Dreaming? This was impossible. 

"Say something." Jake spoke slowly. He studied me carefully. Like he is trying to gauge the reaction of a startled animal. My reaction to what I am not entirely sure. Teleportation? Insanity? Same thing, right?

"So many questions." I manage to say but it comes out much quieter than expected. Barely a whisper. 

"You're not crazy, you're not dead, and you're not unconscious." Jake laughed nervously. He was apparently a mind reader too.

"I find that hard to believe considering I was in my car two seconds ago." I reply. 

"You won't believe the real answer." Jake cocked his head to the side a bit. He looked as if he was seeing me for the first time. His eyes moved carefully over my face and body. 

"Try me." I snap.

"Time travel."