Chapter 4- Without a trace

Chapter 4

        My parents hadn't seen my since my fight with Amanda. I stayed over at  Casey's the night it happened, and last night I made sure to be in bed by the time my parents got home. My dad is a psychologist and always works long hours, and  my mom had picked up an extra shift at the diner she works at. I was avoiding them seeing my face for as long as possible. I didn't want to deal with the questioning and arguing. 

        This morning however, when I looked in the mirror, I knew I didn't have to worry about being questioned. The bruises were gone. I felt and looked completely normal. I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. There was no way this was happening. It wasn't possible. The bruises were there yesterday, and they couldn't have just vanished.

        I got dressed quickly and barely said three words to my parents before grabbing my back pack and running out the door. Casey was waiting in my drive way with her little beat up volkswagen beatle. I jumped in and immediately started flipping my shit.

        "Housten, we have a problem!" She stopped backing out of my drive way and looked over at me.'        

        "What, did your straightener break?" She eyes my mess of waves.

        "Hey!" I snapped, feeling a bit insulted by her remark.

        "Don't even get mad, I was just kidding, you know I love you." She laughed and continued backing out of my driveway. 

        "You're missing the point!" I sighed. She wasn't understanding. 

        "What are you getting at?" Casey asked, humoring me. 

        "My bruises are gone!" I ran my fingers through my dirty blonde hair. I was far beyond frustrated.

        "What bruises?" Casey furrowed her eyebrows at the road in front of her. She shot me a confused glance.

        "The ones from the fight with Amanda Miller!" I yelled. She couldn't have forgotten. Did she get amnesia?

        "Sam, you've never even said two words to her."

                                                                        ***

        I went about my day and ignored the fact I was crazy. Or an extraterrestrial test subject, but whatever. The odd thing was that nobody questioned it. Not one person asked me about the bruises being gone. Casey even started questioning my sanity on the way to Algebra. We had stopped at my locker. 

        "You okay?" Casey repeated. 

        "For the millionth time, no. I remember the fight, but it's just like it never happened." I slammed my locker shut. We turned to go to class and I ran into someone before I could take a single step. The collision knocked the persons books to the floor. 

        "Hey!" Amanda Miller, blonde bimbo extraordinair, yelled. My eyes went wide with shock, but Casey's went even wider. I knelt down and picked up her books as a peice offering. I knew better than to piss her off now. 

        "Here, sorry Amanda." I handed the books to her and she looked at me with a confused yet curious expression. 

        "Do I know you?" She studdied my face intently as I searched for a response. "Nevermind, just get out of my way." With that she pushed pass Casey and I and went strutting down the hall. 

        "I told you, you don't know each other." Casey spoke. We hadn't moved an inch since Amanda walked away. Was she pretending not to know me? That should have warranted a good shove and insult, at least! Due to our previous encounter I probably should have gotten my ass beat again.