Chapter 2: People Watching

27th June 1935, London

"Do you think Tom's acting strange?" Cordelia questioned while watching the other children run around the garden. Robbie along with some of the older children had cleaned the garden up, the downpour earlier certainly helped. "Lucy?"

Lucy Henwood stirred and the book covering her face fell to the side as she sat up, rubbing her eyes before she let out a sneeze. "Spring is not for people like me, Delia." She moaned, moving her ash blonde hair out of her eyes, revealing her green eyes that Cordelia envied a little.

Even though summer had come, Lucy like her typical self mistook the seasons. It was a silly habit she had, never knowing what season it was until it was too late; she only knew winter and that was it.

"That's not what I asked." Cordelia pouted and Lucy giggled. She poked Cordelia's cheek with Cordelia turning to glare at her. "Lucy. Lu, stop it." Swatting Lucy's hand away from her face, Cordelia ducked her head down once she spotted him in the distance.

Tom was standing near the back door. His eyes scanned the children playing but he paid them no mind. Cordelia wasn't in her room or anywhere inside. He didn't find Lucy either, it meant one thing; Lucy and Cordelia were outside together.

Lucy curiously glanced between her friend and Tom but made no move to hide herself. She waited for a moment before Tom moved out of her vision to call out to Cordelia.

"He's gone." Only then did Cordelia come out of her hiding spot. "Why are you hiding from him?" Curiously she eyed her friend and the retreating form of Tom.

For a moment, Cordelia didn't speak, she was watching Tom go back inside before she got up. "Did you say something, Lu?"

Honestly, Cordelia could either be the most attentive person or the most absent-minded person Lucy ever knew there was no in-between.

"Oh, right." Cordelia clicked her fingers suddenly remembering what Lucy had said. "Tom. Right. This is about him...I'm not hiding from him...I'm just really busy." Her answer was slow and drawn out and anyone with half a brain could tell she wasn't being completely honest.

Lucky for her, Lucy knew when not to press people for answers. She accepted the poor excuse and said nothing more about Tom. Clearly something had happened in the span of a day or two while Riddle was knocked out.

"He is acting strange." Muttered Lucy, answering Cordelia's question from before. She glanced at Cordelia who's attention was on her. "But he's not the only one." She added, getting up and dusting her skirt and then passing her book to Cordelia.

Cordelia let out a nervous laugh. "What's that supposed to mean?" She clearly knew what Lucy meant but she thought she had hid it well.

If she had to be completely honest, she'd tell her what was truly bothering her. It wasn't Mrs Cole's numerous requests or the mere presence of Amy Benson and Dennis Bishop or even Tom—no, it was the strange dreams she had been having since March.