02. adventures in babysitting

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING , chapter two

❝those shoes are disgusting❞

It's not anything someone shouldn't enjoy

It's not anything someone shouldn't enjoy. The luxury, the comfy bed, the full belly's and rich living, but to Lavender Prewet the past five days had been the most excruciatingly painful days of her life. 

Living a life that was doomed to end in almost a month soon, or knowing that her family would see her die just like she did her brother when the trident was pulled out of his chest. 

Her mother already went through it once.

But she had lived a much longer life than the boy on her right, eating only the frosting off his cupcake as he claims that the actual cake part doesn't have enough sugar. 

If she could, Lavender would apologies to her family right now.

Because there was no way in hell she was living over Hunter Hecker. 

"Lavender" a voice echoed out pulling the girl out of her trance.

"Yes" she piped up, looking for the direction of the dinner table for the sound until she landed on dash, one of her mentors. "You okay, you haven't eaten yet" he pointed out at her untouched steak, looking at her plate Lavender almost shivered at the sight and shrugged "I guess I've just had a lot to think about lately" she smiled shakily before Dash looked at Jules who didn't seem to be listening to the conversation and tapped her foot with his ankle.

"Jesus Christ Dash I can't even eat a meal without your-" The female mentor stopped when she saw Lavender playing with the fork again and trying to bend it into a toy like creature. "oh" Jules sighed before excusing herself from the table, rustling Hunters head and tapping the blonde on the shoulder.

"Come with me" Jules stern voice went trough the seventeen year olds ears as she trailed behind the ex winner who seemed to have taken her into the back of the train. "Sit" she told the girl who almost looked frightened as she did what she was told. 

"You want that boy to live?" 

Lavender nodded almost eagerly to the question asked by the woman who almost seemed sad at the question.

"If you want the boy to live you need to get off your mopey ass and learn how to protect him" Jules snapped, shocking the Prewet girl. 

"I see your good at being a black smith" the older woman pointed out, "I's really only for-" "I don't care" she cut Lavender off. 

"If you don't want to win this thing fine." She sighed "But your going to try to win it for him". 

"Teach me what you know" Lavender sat up, her emotions were running high but her brain was focused and scared.

Mostly scared. 

Hunter was going to win, she knew that but ── she didn't want to die.

Jules usually told the truth in these situations, she would have probably told the same tribute last year to go away and that the 'protection plan' never works but with Lavender.

She felt like she could make it work.

She would try. 

She hasn't tried since in the games since her win. 

"first we need to get you sponsors well which is actually easy because well you know the whole dead brother thing" she started off, catching the sad eyes the girl was giving off but she ignored it. 

This wasn't going to work if she treated her like a kid. 

"Then we train, I'll teach you how to make a weapon and so on" she sighed before sitting next to the quiet girl. 

"We cant start tomorrow, get some rest maybe even ask Honor for fashion advice because those shoe's are horrendous" she joked as a playful offended look bounced of Lavenders face, "these were the only ones in the closet" she defended herself before grabbing a pillow behind her and hiding her feet. 

"And they are disgusting, I'll give you a pair of mine" they both laughed until it went back to an awkward silence. 

"You know Lavender Prewet" Jules placed her hand on the girls shoulder, "I have faith in you" she told the blonde before getting up  walking out of the train compartment.

Lavender watched the mentor leave before looking back down at her shoes.

Besides the shoes Lavender thought about the way Jules sat her down.

She was right. 

All Lavender was doing was feeling bad for herself when she could've used this time to start getting ready.

She wouldn't be able to help Hunter if she died in the cornucopia. 

Lavender eventually walked back into the dining room. 

At least after she through her shoes into the trash.

When she walked in she was greeted with a hug from Hunter and a classic 'sup' from Dash, Honor was also there but she was to busy complaining to Jules that she got pasta in her wig. 

"Hunter what you got there?" Jules asked the boy who lifted up one of Lavenders bended forks.

"It looks like Dash" he laughed as other followed before Dash went on about how a dinner fork did not look like him at all. 

They were all having a good time by the end of dinner, they felt almost at peace. 

"Entering the capitol" A loud intercom voice spoke up. 

Well in this world peace always breaks. 

yeah okay we are not gonna talk about how I just randomly updated this book after like a year I:

vote and comment because nobody likes a silent reader