ROMANTIC: Max [1] - fem!reader (she/her)

It felt hopeless. It felt like no matter the moments you two had together, it would never lead to her liking you back. The shared smiles, the hand holding while she dragged you to something that she liked, the wiping ice cream off each other's cheeks, her moving hair out of your face, her teaching you how to get on a skateboard without falling off (and once you could move pretty good, she taught you easy tricks), the sleepovers where she'd fall asleep before you and move around so much that she'd end up on top of you, and even that one sleepover where y'all decided to watch a horror movie that scared you two so bad neither of you could fall asleep, so you stayed huddled close together under a blanket until y'all fell asleep.

You knew that not everyone could be an oddball like you — including Max. She didn't like girls, and you knew for a fact that she really liked Lucas. Maybe it was better if you just tried to lose feelings for her... but it's hard! She's, like, perfect! Her red hair, her freckles, her smile, her sarcasm, her laugh... everything. She was a walking angel. No, scratch that, a walking goddess. But no matter what you could describe her as, yours wasn't one of them.

But she was Lucas's. And that's why, when everyone else sneaked behind Scoops Ahoy to go to the movie theater, you asked to stay behind and stay with Robin. Of course she said yes; you two are like sisters. You were glad, too; you couldn't stand seeing them together, his arm wrapped around her shoulder...

"And you make fun of me for having kid friends," Steve complained in a teasing tone.

"Well, this is different," Robin said, defending herself.

"How?" He crossed his arms.

"It's Y/N." She shrugged like it was the most obvious thing in the world, which brought a smile to your face.

He scoffed and made his way to the back of the shop.

"Don't mind him. He's just mad the hat is covering up his only good quality," she joked, making you laugh shortly. "So, what? You want your usual? Then we can sit down and talk about it."

You furrowed your eyebrows. "Talk about what?"

"What's bothering you."

"There's nothing bothering me..." You looked down at the floor, hoping that if you didn't look her in the eye, she wouldn't notice you're lying.

"Oh... really? Because I thought you looked a little upset and was wondering why you didn't go with your friends to watch the movie. Yeah, sorry, I'm not really good with reading people... but you know that. So, the ice cream?" She waved a hand in your face, causing your head to snap up. "Y/N, the ice cream?"

You had zoned out, thinking about whether you should actually talk to her about your situation, and you realized that she had spilled out multiple sentences and already picked up the scooper, ready to get some ice cream for you.

"The ice cream?" she repeated for the third time.

"Yeah, no, sorry. I'm good," you said, waving your hand at the scooper, showing that you didn't want the ice cream.

"Okay, seriously, do you want to talk?" She had a look of concern on her face that made you feel bad for making her worried, but you knew that if you didn't tell her, it'd make her even more worried.

You nodded. "Yeah. I do."

You two sat at the table nearest to the counter if there were any new customers.

Robin rested her arms on the counter and intertwined her fingers. "Spill."

"There's this..." You trailed off. You were fiddling with your fingers under the table and jiggling your leg out of nervousness. What if Robin didn't support you? What if she didn't want to hang out with you and completely neglected you?