Ch.5

You have always been fairly good, you think. You were a good kid in kindergarten, you listen well, follows orders without question, and that of course continues until you are all grown up, even if you did not really go through a regular public education. You are definitely a law-abiding citizen - maybe you can ignore that one time you jaywalked instead of taking the pedestrian crossing - all in all, you can easily conclude that you are one disciplined person.

It is not hard to achieve, really, not when your country and its people highly commend such values.

Maybe she just did not go to the same preschool as you.

You stalk out of her empty room, rushing to the nurse station, relieved to see Luda manning it. She smiles and waves cheerfully at you when you are near.

"Luda," you gasp when you get to the counter, eyes still searching. "Have you seen my patient?"

"Which one?" Luda asks, and she laughs when you roll your eyes a bit.

"You know the one."

"No, sorry, doctor, I haven't seen her," Luda apologizes, sincere in her tone. "I was busy filing, but even if I wasn't working, I don't think I could've seen her leave her room."

You have heard gossips from the other nurses that this patient of yours is particularly fond and unfortunately very skilled in sneaking out from her bed, where she should be resting, but it is rather odd that no one has caught her in action until now.

"Do you want me to page nurses in other wards? Maybe someone else have caught a glimpse of her." Luda questions, already taking out her pager.

"Please." you sigh, running your hand through your hair, exhausted. You just got out of a long surgery, so you missed the time you promised you would check in on her. It is not entirely unfitting to say that you are worried.

"Done," Luda announces with a grin. "I'll keep you posted on your own pager, Jiyeon."

"Okay, thank you. I think I'll go around and look for her as well."

Luda sends you off on your mission with a smile. "Good luck."

-----

You have searched almost the entire hospital wing when your pager finally beeps. You read it in a hurry, sighing in relief when it shows the information you wanted, and not another emergency surgery that requires your assistance.

You make your way to the place where she is last spotted, shared by a nurse from the pediatric ward.

And there she is, you see her reading from a storybook in one of the ward's playroom, a young female child attentively listening to the tale. Both of them are in the hospital's blue gown.

You let her finish before you announce your presence, calling out her name. "Juyeon."

She turns, the child following her closely. "Oh, Jiyeon! There you are, I've been looking for you."

"What do you mean you've been looking for me? That's my line."

"Well," she closes the large storybook shut, pouting a little. "You said you'd come check in on me. I waited but you didn't show up, so I went out to find you."

"I suppose I did say that... I'm sorry, I was just held up in a surgery."

She immediately drops her playful pout. "Oh, did it go well?"

"Yes, but I was just assisting the main surgeon."

"Semantics, that's still a life saved."

You sigh, dropping to your knees, leveling yourself with her and the child. "You know you're supposed to be on your bed, resting, right?"