Ch.12

You could hear the front door clicks open, but you suppose it does not matter. The only one who knows the pin is your girlfriend, so it must have been her. To your surprise a different voice calls out your name, and you think there are a few sets of feet shuffling about. So it is definitely not your girlfriend.

"Oi, you useless doc, stop moping around." Dayoung pretty much just barges into your bedroom, spotting you all bundled up inside your blanket on your bed.

You think it is easy for her to say that, though there is a painful truth in her words.

It has been... what? Three days since you found out that you could actually have done something to save your deceased patients. But you also realize you could not have done anything about that now. So you submitted a request for a longer leave, which your department's director easily agrees to, knowing of your weakened psychological state and that you won't be able to perform up to par, so she lets you go, and you continue to wallow in self-pity at your home.

How could you have possibly let doctor Han Jungwoo continue his murderous actions for so long? You should have known. You should have.

You feel a small weight depositing at the end of your bed, before Dayoung's usually gruff tones grow softer. "The hospital has contacted all of your patient's families, and we have also provided them with reparations. It's a closed case, doctor Kim. You need to let it go."

After waiting for a minute to hear your reaction but not getting anything out, Dayoung sighs. "You need to stop doing this to yourself."

To your complete and utter shock, Dayoung tugs off your blanket forcefully, revealing yourself to her. "Come on, get up. I need your help."

She pulls you to the living room, not minding the fact that you are still in your pajamas (you have been for the last three days) and that you had dry tears on your cheeks. There are three other men in suits settled around your living room, each one staying close to the windows and looking out, and you finally falter. "What's going on?"

Dayoung signals for the three men to go ahead, and they do. After they shout something that sounds like 'clear!', Dayoung takes your hand again, but this time rather gently. "Follow me."

They drive you to a secluded area at the edge of the city, and you look around warily when you get out of the car. You rush to Dayoung, who is already making her way into a rundown bungalow, looking like it's been abandoned for years and have seen much better days. She is starting to make you nervous, to fear for your life. And where is Juyeon? Shouldn't she be with Dayoung? "Dayoung, please, what is happening right now? Where are you taking me?"

"Just hurry." Dayoung urges you, going to a hallway. The path ends there, but then Dayoung pulls on something on the floor, and once again, you are shocked when a trap door opens up, revealing a stairway.

"What...?"

Dayoung pushes you in, head first. "Get in, I'll close it up."

"What is this place?" you question, following the little bit of light that ends at the bottom of the stairway while making your way down the steep stairs.

"It's a safe house," Dayoung answers nonchalantly. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions right now, but I need you to steel yourself up a bit, 'kay? It's not going to be pretty."

"A safe house? For what purpose?" you say, finally getting to a bright room, you turn to study the place, and that is when you had to pause, cutting your sentence short. "...and what do you mean I need to steel--"

There is Juyeon. She is lying down on a bed, and you think she is not moving. You rush to her, not even noticing the two men stationed next to the door to the stairway, guarding the place. "Juyeon? Oh my god."