Ch.2 Experience preferred

I stayed longer than I planned, getting all the materials, and then planning on where to start taking most of the afternoon. I only got on one tire when Mom called me on where I was and blew my ear off about the ice pack being untouched in the freezer. I told her I was on my way, and made my trek back home, Dave didn't bother telling me goodbye. I didn't expect it either.

I sighed as I arrived at the garage door, it was already open with Jack leaning on his motorcycle. He was on his phone probably texting his friends. Mom wasn't home yet, her van wasn't in the garage. Must still be at work.

"Is Mom mad?" I whispered. Jack's head shot up, face full of worry.

"Mom and I have been looking all over for you! Where were you?" He squatted to my level as he looked me over, then stopped when he saw my black eye.

He sighed," Did you get into another fight? " His head went back in irritation," Let's get you fixed up." He sighed. He stood up and took my shoulder leading me towards the door into the house. I looked up at my older brother with no expression, maybe he would want to hear about my 'surprise'?

I sighed, I knew he wouldn't. Him and Mom don't like me going up there, they say Dave is a bad influence. Sure he cusses from time to time, but he doesn't do anything out of the ordinary for the average 55 year old!

Besides, they don't need to worry about me. Jack is only a year older, and Mom knows I can take care of myself. My brother leads me towards the dining room chair, and pushes me down gently. I hiss as Jack dabs the ice pack around my swollen eye.

"Well, if you did this when you were supposed to it wouldn't hurt so bad." He sassed. I widened my eyes in shock, and maybe a little pride. Jack never really has the strength to stand up to himself, no offense to him.

"Where did you learn to sass back?" I questioned, smiling. All he did was sigh as he dabbed the ice more into my eye. Mom and him are mostly the same, no humor, and no funny business.

"By the way, Mom also took the night shift." I hissed as Jack dabbed the ice a little too hard, it stung like a bitc- behind! He apologized as he kept on dealing with my eye.

My mind went back to the Dodge that was still in Dave's junk yard. It would take me more than a week to finish it, let alone get all the new parts. I will even have to find a new decal, or at least make a new horn from scratch. Too bad it's a Thursday.
A crash from the garage made both us siblings jump. Jack gave me the Ice pack and motioned me to stay seated, I grunted reluctantly. Jack opened the garage door, and shut it behind him. I gave him a few minutes before I got up to investigate myself.

I opened the door to find Jack standing by his motorcycle,"What was it?" I questioned. Jack looked around as if the walls would give him an answer.

"R-Raccoon, yeah. It was a Raccoon." Jack stuttered. I huffed, Jack always was a bad liar. Another thing he had in common with Mom.

I tilt my head,"You know you are a horrible liar right?" I lean against the garage door and cross my arms.

"J-Just get inside and put that Ice pack back in the fridge, Mom will be home anytime now." Jack stuttered once again. Something must have scared him for him to stutter so much. Though, I just sigh as I go back into the house, Jack didn't follow.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next morning: 8:00

"Hot Belgian Waffles!!!" I cursed. The screw to get to the engine just wouldn't come out! I need to see if there was any damage to it, dangit! I looked at the progress I have made, the tires were replaced, the windshield is new, the bumpers were undented, and the inside was cleaned out. It didn't look the prettiest, but It would do for today. Only If I could check on the dang engine!!!