Chapter 12. "Maybe, someday"

Emmalyn looked at the list in front of her and back at Annabeth. "The Ideal Boyfriend List" Emmalyn looked at the word, boyfriend, of course, she would want a boy to date but why did she feel weird? and why was she so interested? She didn't know. Maybe because being with Annabeth she forgot about her shitty family for once, or maybe because Annabeth was the only one who saw her as someone more than just a pretty face. Emmalyn knew Annabeth saw her talents and her skills. She tried hard at school because of her, she wanted to be seen, and thought that if she did well, maybe people will see her as someone more than her face and body.

"so?" Emmalyn asked. "Go on" she nudged her slightly with her arm. "I was 11 then, me and Chris wanted to list the qualities we would want to see in our partners and so". "You want someone artistic, adventurous, extroverted, intelligent, athletic built, dark hair, light eyes, and someone who can play an instrument, someone your family likes and who has a pet." she finished reading. "That was something" Emmalyn put down the list.

"Hey, I was a child" she protested. "Yet, you are still holding onto it," Emmalyn said. "I am not anymore, I wanted someone perfect now that I see the people around me now, I..' she trailed off "You realize, people are not perfect and the best real-life relationships aren't perfect they are just.. true" Emmalyn said with a small smile. "Exactly," Annabeth said with a similar smile. "That was too much to ask," Annabeth said. "You know, Liv you should never apologize for wanting something, you just know what you want and what you don't," Emmalyn said.

"Remind me why never talked?" Annabeth said. "Because you were a bit standoffish," Emmalyn said. "That was why we never talked," Annabeth said. "Hey, I want to ask something," Emmalyn said. "Go on," Anne said. "What if, someone comes along and you fall for them, and that person was exactly different than how would like. What would you do then?" she asked. "I would never fall for someone like that" Anne said her brows forming a crescent moon. Emmalyn just smiled. "You have any control over who you fall for," she said.

"I believe, we have some control over who we choose to love," Annabeth said. "You will see Annabeth, one day you will fall for someone and you will won't care about your list and all you will care about would be both of your happiness," she said. "Maybe, someday," Annabeth said. "Maybe someday, " Emmalyn echoed.

"Let's go over, it one last time," Annabeth said and pulled out the notebooks. Time passed away quickly. "Did you get what I said?" Annabeth asked. "Yep," Emmalyn said, standing up. "Emmalyn," Annabeth called out. She turned and Annabeth handed her a dusty book, "Art" by Bridget Evans "this helped me a lot and honestly inspired me and I hope you would like it, books can be great you know" she smiled. "Thank you," Emmalyn took it, their fingers brushed against each other, and both of the pulled their hands away.

"Why are you smiling?" Emmalyn asked, looking at her smile. "You are not surrounded by your usual cloud of smoke," she said. "Ah, she notices," Emmalyn said, her face matching Anne's. "Well, don't be too happy sweetheart, I just didn't feel like smoking" since our talk, she didn't say the last part aloud. Why did she care why Annabeth Reed thought of her. "Friends?" she asked. "Acquaintances," Annabeth said. Emmalyn smirked, "That's the start sweetheart," she said.

"Let me walk you downstairs," Annabeth said, and they heard chatter downstairs. "Seems like your brother's home," she said. "Seems like that". The talking became clearer, there was someone else too. "Hi," someone said, Emmalyn heard Annabeth's footsteps stop. It was Nicolas, he waved at them. Emmalyn and Annabeth both raised their hands at the same time. Emmalyn glanced back at Annabeth's face pale. Both of their eyes met, brown and blue.

"Hey, there you are" Alexander's voice came. He stopped next to him, his arms around Nicolas's shoulder. "Hello, Emmalyn," he said, he was always polite. "Hello, Alexander," she said "Hello, Nicolas" she smiled at them and turned to Annabeth. She was still standing on the fourth stair. It seemed like she forgot to function, did she like Nicolas? of course she did, she took a look at Nicolas he checked all her boxes. She took a breath in, "Thank you for your help, see you, tomorrow Sweetheart," her smirk and Annabeth's both widened.

She turned to the boys, "Bye" she chirped and flashed them a smile. She moved out of the house and turned her car on. She drove to her home vibing, to Taylor swift. Her mind wandered to what Annabeth might have to deal with, her brother clearly wasn't aware of her nickname and she smiled at the red that covered her nose every time she was embarrassed. "You belong with me, have you ever thought just maybe? you belong with me? you belong with me" she sang along as both the song and the road ended in front of her house.