Chapter 21: Empty

"Be the bigger person." No thanks.

Chris:

I was angry.

I think.

I was probably angry.

I'm definitely sad.

Maybe?

So I was probably angry and definitely sad.

But that doesn't sound quite right either.

I felt... empty. Completely and utterly empty.

So I was probably angry, potentially sad and definitely empty.

Yes, that sounds right.

Or maybe it's the beer talking.

I don't even know anymore.

What was I talking about?

Oh right. My feelings.

The boys seemed to be taking it as hard as I was. Caleb had emptied the pot of peanuts, arranged them in size order then started counting them. What scared me was that he hadn't had a drop of alcohol- being the designated driver and all.

Nick and Ethan were glaring at each other, neither of them willing to back down from their intense competition. Issac kinda just sat there, absorbing it all in while swirling his glass.

"Why do you think she didn't tell us?" Caleb suddenly voiced the question we all feared the answer to.

"Dunno." I shrugged.

"She probably didn't trust us." Ethan said in a sad, angry growl.

"Or maybe she thought she was doing what she thought was best?" Caleb quipped, tearing his eyes away from his stack of peanuts.

"Or... maybe she's scared of us." Issac said in low tone.

We all stilled. Ethan and Nick broke their staring competition and glared at him.

"What- what are you taking about?" I finally managed to ask.

He gave a one shouldered shrug. "Remember when we- apart from Chris- met her for the first time? We killed three men in front of her. Then we kidnapped her. Any normal person would be terrified of us!"

"Yeah but Arya's not a normal person." Ethan snorted.

My phone rang and I pulled it out of my pocket with fumbling fingers. I squinted at the contact and frowned. "It's Marigold." I swiped on the green button and held the device to my ear.

"Hello?" My words were slightly slurred and I sniffed.

"I don't know what the hell you boys are doing, but you need to get your asses down to the hospital. Arya collapsed and it's not looking good."

X

Caleb neatly parked in front of the hospital and we stumbled out. I brushed myself off and strode to through the doors having sobered up during the ride.