Ch.15

The following day, Dre and I made our way to Mr

The following day, Dre and I made our way to Mr. Han's place. I was eager to witness Dre's training with the skilled martial artist. As we entered Mr. Han's home, I noticed Dre's lack of formality, walking right in without even asking permission.

"What's up, Mr. Han?" Dre greeted casually, while I stood at the doorway.

"Did I say you could come in?" Mr. Han questioned, eyeing Dre.

"I think you did. I mean, if I did, Y/N would have come in," Dre retorted, following me inside.

"May we please come in?" Dre asked, now slightly annoyed.

"Yes," Mr. Han finally consented, and I quickly moved to the backyard to find a place to sit.

Once settled, I turned my attention to Dre, "So, Dre, I believe your first training should focus on your attitude and manners," I suggested, to which Dre looked at me in disbelief.

"But, Mr. Han, the competition is approaching, and I need you to teach me real kung fu," Dre protested, while Mr. Han observed silently.

"What if I show you?" I proposed, seeking Mr. Han's approval. He nodded, taking a seat nearby.

I tilted my head and approached Dre slowly, causing him to instinctively back away. "Pick up your jacket," I instructed him sternly.

Dre glared at me, frustration evident in his voice, "I put my jacket on a thousand times and took it off a thousand times."

"Dre, you're learning kung fu even if you aren't aware of it," I countered.

"Bullshit, [name]!" he yelled, and I rolled my eyes before playfully punching him, noticing how Mr. Han adeptly avoided my attack.

"What the hell!" Dre exclaimed.

"Remember, Dre, pick up your jacket," Mr. Han calmly reminded him. Following Mr. Han's guidance, Dre picked up his jacket, and I decided to challenge him further by attempting to kick him, yet he easily dodged while Mr. Han held his collar.

Frustrated, Dre threw his jacket to the ground, declaring, "Okay, let them beat you up and let the man kill me." I pouted, but Mr. Han quickly intervened, standing between us.

With a mischievous tone, I said, "Mr. Han, did you notice [name]'s attacks?" Confused, Dre turned to Mr. Han for an explanation.

"Put on your jacket," Mr. Han instructed. Dre's irritation grew.

"Mr. Han, I already-" he started, only to be interrupted, "Jacket on." Dre then pretended to put on his jacket.

Mr. Han firmly grabbed his arm and said, "Be strong," repeating, "Jacket on."

"Firm," Mr. Han further instructed, "Jacket off." "Remember... Always strong," he reminded Dre, "Jacket off."

Observing the exchange silently, I had a strong belief that Dre would emerge victorious in the upcoming competition.

Mr. Han continued to guide Dre, instructing him to position his left foot back, then his right foot back, followed by the left foot back again. Dre followed each command attentively.

"Pick up your jacket!" Mr. Han prompted once more. Dre pretended to pick it up, but Mr. Han swiftly kicked his hands away. Dre muttered an "Ow."

"Strong," Mr. Han exclaimed as he slapped Dre's hand, "Hang it up!" he commanded. Dre complied, and I cheered him on, feeling genuinely happy for his progress.

"Stay," Mr. Han commanded before retrieving Dre's jacket and tossing it a few feet away. "Pick up your jacket," Dre quickly responded, but Mr. Han again kicked his hands away. "Jacket on," he repeated.

"We don't have a jacket," Dre pointed out.

"Jacket on," Mr. Han insisted. Dre pretended to put it on.

Mr. Han firmly grasped his arm, emphasizing, "Be strong," and then proclaimed, "Jacket off." "Always concentrate," he added.

As they continued training, I admired the connection forming between Dre and Mr. Han, and I couldn't help but think that Dre had a genuine chance of winning the competition.

"Kung fu is in everything we do, Xiao Dre," Mr. Han imparted wisdom to Dre, elaborating on how it lives in our actions and interactions with others.

Feeling the weight of the lesson, I interjected humorously, "That's really cool, Dre, but stop making faces; you look so ugly," to which Dre responded with a glare.

"I can't help myself," he retorted, but then, acknowledging my point, he added, "But you're right; it might show in the scenes if I do that."

Back in school, I noticed a change in Cheng's behavior. He swapped seats with Liang, ignoring me throughout the day. I nudged Liang, seeking an explanation.

"I don't know, he said he wanted to exchange seats for now," Liang replied simply, but I couldn't shake the feeling of sadness and confusion.

At lunch, I attempted to talk to Cheng, but he coldly ignored me and left without a word. The class ended, and I decided to follow Cheng, hoping to understand what was wrong.

"Cheng, what's wrong with you?" I asked, feeling irritated and hurt.

"Nothing, let me through," he replied, giving me a cold look.

"You've been so confusing, Cheng, and that night..." I tried to convey my feelings, but he cut me off.

"That night was a mistake," he declared firmly, leaving me stunned and heartbroken.

Tears welled up in my eyes, and I couldn't hold back my emotions. I felt the pain in my chest, wiping away the tears before rushing home.

I burst through the door, expecting to find my Aunt Adeline not at home, only to discover she was in the kitchen. Still crying, I ran into my room and screamed into my pillow, heartbroken over my first heartbreak.

Aunt Adeline rushed to my side, gently comforting me as she asked, "What happened, [name]?"

"He's a liar," I sobbed, finding solace in her warm embrace. "Oh, darling, boy problems," she said sympathetically, allowing me to cry myself to sleep.

 "Oh, darling, boy problems," she said sympathetically, allowing me to cry myself to sleep