iii. bonfire battles

         003              bonfire battles

003 bonfire battles

     Bea gripped her tan sandals loosely as she trudged through the sand; she figured it would be considerably easier to walk to the bonfire without the sand tugging at her shoes

     Bea gripped her tan sandals loosely as she trudged through the sand; she figured it would be considerably easier to walk to the bonfire without the sand tugging at her shoes. It was comfortingly cool, warmed only by the moon. She paused briefly, focusing her eyes on a silhouette not too far off in the distance.

     "Belly?" she whispered into the wind, wandering closer to the Conklin girl. "Is that you?"

Belly stopped walking, spinning around to look back at Bea. She had noticed the girl's familiar, soft tone almost immediately. "Bea?"

"The one and only," she smiled. "You're going to the bonfire too?"

Belly nodded. "Yeah! You too?"

"Mhm," Bea answered. She glanced at Belly, "It's been too long since I've seen you!" she exclaimed, enveloping Belly in an embrace.

Belly smiled as the girls untangled themselves from the hug, "Exactly! I'm always counting the days until I get to see everyone and finally come back here."

Bea and Belly strolled onward for a short while, a comfortable silence lingering between them.

Before long, an orange and yellow haze complimented by teenagers had made itself apparent in the not so far off distance. "Looks like we made it," Belly offered a satisfactory smile. Her expression, despite the smile, seemed to be excruciatingly hesitant.