17. after deadly rain

Azrael Carmen

All the world dropped dead. My eyes shut closed and suddenly all my other senses heightened like sharp sword. People shouted. Footsteps hurried away everywhere. The car was still honking rapidly outside the window. I waited a bit longer. For the pain to take control and for the feeling of a thin glass slicing through my flesh. A million shards pricked all of me. I let my mind wandered to red blood spilling the ground and copper perfuming the air.

None of that happened.

I lifted my lids and colors bursted through every vein inside me. My vision cleared and I realized Elliot was holding me. His hand the back of my head and arm wrapped tightly around my body. I looked over his shoulder at the ruined window and the scene that was happening. So much broken glass. Toppled over table and chairs. The Salvatore men were barking orders into their phones. Their wives and children seemed calm but definitely on alert. Safe. No blood.

They must had seen the car coming too.

"Jane. Breathe." He grabbed my waist and pushed us up. I only realized then that we had been on the floor.

His eyes darkened as he took me in. I wondered if he saw all my weaknesses and deemed me breakable right now. Unworthy. Helpless. He cupped my face. Thumb caressing my cheekbone. "Breathe, baby."

I did. Even when oxygen struggled to burn in my lungs. "Are you hurt?" He asked and I shook my head, hating how I barely had it in me to even open my mouth to speak.

Elliot took one more looks at me before he explained I was safe. The car didn't crash into us. Its front had just bumped against the glass window, breaking it, before swerving to the side and hit the wall instead. He had grabbed me and threw his body over mine just as the glass was about to fall on me.

I noticed the little cuts on his face then. One on the corner of his temple and two small ones across his cheekbone. I placed my hand carefully on his uninjured side. "Your face is going to get uglier now."

The scars when they faded. I thought it would give him the edge. A rough brutalized handsome looks. But, even in slight shock my brain still remembered the size of his ego. Therefore I would just save the information to myself. I enjoyed humbling the man.

"Oh yeah?" Relief flashed quickly in his eyes as he chuckled softly. He leaned down and placed a slow lingering peck on my lips.

Always touching and kissing me.

I growled lowly in disdain. My hands roamed at his head and I tugged his face down by his tousled hair. Crashing a hard kiss on his mouth. He sank under my touch in an instant. Fingers in my hair while he returned my kiss.

Elliot kissed like the world was ending and I was his last something to hold on to. A lifeline anchoring him from the inevitable. I let out a sigh and he took the moment to slip his tongue inside but not before tracing the outline of my lips as if he wanted to savor me forever. He tasted like heaven despite he was built for literal sin. His tongue tasted mine and explored every corner I offered. Soft lips crashing brutally over mine.

I knew I was in some sort of quarter life crisis. Because this was the prettiest version of Hell I had walked.

"Uncle Elliot is trying to eat the pretty lady. Like daddy did to mommy." Madeline gasped from somewhere. I assumed she had stopped singing song loudly to herself.

Reality crashed back on us. I whispered his name into the kiss. "Eli, hermoso."

"Jane." He groaned back and physically tore his mouth off mine. The looks on his face tempted me to forget everyone else and let him kissed me until he had enough.