Chapter 5

Recap:

“Hold on tight.” He slowly slid his hands around my waist, sending an unexpected shiver to run up my body. I cleared my throat. “Alright then. Take us home Aethelbeorn.” I whispered to the horse, holding onto his long mane, trapping Addy between my arms.

He threw his head back and sped into the forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wind.

Speed.

Darkness.

A child’s excited laughter.

Adrenaline coursing through my veins.

Warm arms, tightly grasped around my thin waist.

A smile playing on my lips.

Beautiful strength underneath me.

A growing light in the distance.

Town.

Home.

Aethelbeorn slowed to a stop, snorting the cold night air out of his lungs. The arms around my waist left me, as mystery man hopped to the ground. I handed him Addeline and slid off the great horse. He turned to look at me with eyes that have seen so much. I gazed into his big brown eyes and smiled, stroking his muscled neck. I rested my forehead on his and smiled.

“Thank you for getting us home safe, and helping me save Addeline. You can go now, Aethelbeorn. Stay strong, stay mighty.” With that, the horse was gone, into the night, leaving behind the whisper of his presence.

There was a cough of attention behind me and I looked back to see Addy waiting patiently, smiling up at the mystery man, looking at me. I took Addeline’s hand, and she took mystery man’s hand in her other. I smiled and we walked to her house, glad to be in the safety of the light again.

When we got to her house I knocked on the door. We didn’t have to wait long before it was slowly opened, revealing a lost and weary looking, Mrs. Elaine.

“Hi momma!” Addeline called as she walked into the house. I watched as her eyes grew wide, tears filling them up. She let out a happy shocked noise before sweeping Addy into her arms.

“My baby! You’re home! You’re safe!” She cried. “Oh thank you, Thank you! Hope, I will never forget this, thank you so much for bringing my baby home!” She looked at me, her eyes full of joy.

“My pleasure.” I looked back at the man standing off a little ways behind me, waiting. “He helped.” I mentioned, pointing over my shoulder at him.

Mrs. Elaine set Addy down and cantered over to him, crushing him in a hug. He looked at me, taken aback and awkwardly patted her shoulder. I stifled a laugh, covering it with a cough.

“Thank you boy! I shall thank you properly tomorrow, but for now I think I must retire for I am very weary.

“Your thank you is more than enough, ma’am.” He told her.

“Nonsense!” She exclaimed. “Tomorrow we will have a feast for all of us!” She beamed. Then she waved goodnight and tottered back inside.

I looked back at him, seeing him look around awkwardly and laughed.

“Very friendly town you have here.” He muttered. I walked over to him to start to lead the way to my house.

“Indeed. Now I’m tired, and I’m sure-“ I was cut short as I was hit with an excruciating pain that caused my vision to go black.