Chapter 27 - Everything Is Going To Be Okay

A lonely mare sat under a wrecked weeping willow; its broken branches swung sadly by the wind, caressing her coat. She often glanced up to the carved stars to check on her mate and son, the former on the verge of fainting now and then and the latter shining brightly. She would also check on her daughter hidden in the depths of the forbidden cave, never losing hope that any of the three would someday return. She stared sadly at the lily, for hours even, waiting for a sign that Leirion was indeed going to awaken. But it never came. Sometimes she found herself at the very edge of the forest and looked in the distance. Her front hoof would lift and stay, never daring to cross the line. She could never cross. So, she placed her dainty hoof down again and turned her back on the border.

She had grown even quieter since Dianthus' departure. The other dwellers of the forest watched her forlorn figure pass by, shrouded in her silence. If some creature approached her with a greeting, she would answer only with a hollow smile of her own before resuming her lonely wandering. Loneliness didn't scare a unicorn. They could live their exceedingly long life all by themselves and be content. It was an entirely different story if something was taken from them in such an unforeseeable and unfair way. Nature gifted them with divine powers, eternal youth and, some would say, a destiny to greatness, yet all those gifts appeared empty and mocking to her suffering. Thalia felt so helpless, so useless.

Since the dragon attack, the Forest had been slowly healing from its wounds, thanks to Thalia's presence. She had to keep that in mind and thank Gaia for it.

But it wasn't enough. As an earth guardian, it should have been more than enough to satisfy her, for she knew and respected Nature's law, but that didn't mean she didn't hate it sometimes. Hate is a strong word, she reminded herself every time, but her humble nature clashed with the wishes of her heart too many times to ignore. A tough job was that of an elemental guardian.

There, in the shade of the willow, the summer heat lulled her into slumber once more when the subtle buzzing of Chrysantos' star ceased. The mare rose, alarmed.

For a moment, she held her breath.

Then she broke into a gallop to the northern border.

Griselda would later describe Chrysantos' and Thalia's reunion as one of the most touching scenes she had ever witnessed. The griffin had lived with the family for a whole year and not once had she seen the unicorn pair share more than a quick peck on the muzzle —unicorns were coy creatures when it came to public displays of affection— but now they pranced, no, danced joyfully for everyone to see. The earth guardian's mask fell for the second time in her whole life and she cried tears of joy in her mate's mane.

Griselda observed them with a sincere smile on her beak, and at that moment she swore she felt the Forest's own smile blossom despite the summer heat.

At last, Thalia trotted up to her and pulled the old she-griffin into a hug.

"Griselda, you, wonderful creature! You brought Chrysantos back safely!"

"Oh Thalia, please..." cooed Griselda. "I'm just so glad myself everything ended well."

"Not everything has ended yet."

Chrysantos studied Dianthus' star on the willow; the little carving shone steadily, letting them know that Dianthus was fine.

He turned to Thalia with a gentle smile. "You let him go, didn't you?"

"He wanted to leave as soon as I finished telling him the story. I...I forbade him to go at first. I was still shaken by your...disappearance..." Thalia trailed off and lowered her gaze. Chrysantos walked up to her and caressed her cheek softly with his muzzle. Thalia smiled ever so slightly and looked up again. "However, the day after he still wanted to go, and I let him. His friends Cassiopea and Birch left along with him in the early morning."