Chapter 14 - One Step Forward and Two Steps Back

As the days passed by, Cassidy and Birch became friendlier to each other. Well, it took a little help on Dianthus' part, yes, but their insults were progressively be less rude and more for fun. Observing the two, Dianthus had come to understand how the fawn and the pegasus had become friends in the first place: both were hot-headed rebels with a keen sense of humor. The exact opposite of Dianthus in fact, but it was just fine. He was like the other pan of the scales that prevented the other two from flying into a rage. Best of all, Birch didn't tease him anymore. The young stag still looked down at the unicorn with that hint of superiority, but at least he didn't scowl at him, and Dianthus suspected Birch's behavior to be just a harmless show of pride anyway.

"I couldn't help but notice that you seem more inclined to come to the meadow lately, even glad I daresay," Thalia pointed out one afternoon. She and Dianthus were chilling by their glade's little pond. Summer was on its way and the hours of daylight were warmer and stretched longer.

"Did something merry happen?"

"Sort of," Dianthus replied. "I managed to befriend Birch—well, maybe 'friend' is a big word now, but we are good!"

"Ah, yes. We noticed," his mother purred, her lilac eyes gleaming softly with pride. "It was very mature of you to make the first step."

"I never wished for his hatred in the first place." Dianthus grimaced, hoofing at the ground with the tip of the hoof. "Plus, Birch is going to be the next chief, uhu? You and Father get along so well with Chief Oak and work together...I don't think it would be wise to pursue this unmotivated hostility between Birch and me. He was afraid that I intended to claim his place one day...well, the very idea!"

Thalia nodded slowly, silently sensing where the conversation was heading and bracing herself.

"Mother?"

Here it came.

"Is that true that you and Father once ago ruled over the whole Forest?"

"Yes, Dianthus, in a way it is true. Or better, they saw us as rulers. We lived in this forest for hundreds of generations of deer...and pretty much every other creature here. I was here when the ancient holm oaks were but yearlings."

"Cassidy told me that her mother told her you gave up on your titles long ago...why?"

Thalia wasn't looking at Dianthus but she sensed him tense up even before her expression betrayed her. She got distracted and stayed silent more than she had intended, and she was sure that Dianthus had perceived it, too. Unicorns were masters in listening to silence, the gaps between one breath and the next, the pauses...

Does he regret asking me? Thalia wondered, sensing the grass bend further under the small weight of the foal, as if Dianthus had indeed shrunk back. But he looked at her motionless still.

Thalia caught herself and made sure to not show any trace of discomfort, but she knew it was too late: silence alone was loud enough.

Nevertheless, Thalia did answer, even if in her cryptic way.

"Things happened, Dianthus...the times changed."

Thalia wasn't prepared for that, and she let her voice trail off to a pensive murmur. She could not do it. She was not ready.

Of course, there was more. Of course, her answer-not-answer was insufficient and even offensive to Dianthus' intelligence and of course, he deserved a proper answer. Just, not now. And the earth guardian had no viable excuse to offer him, nor could she advance empty promises of telling him, one day. Chrysantos wasn't there; he had been gone for two weeks now, and Thalia wasn't to take the whole responsibility upon herself alone. She expected her son to ask more, to inquire further...but then again, the silence was a loud form of speaking on its own.