Chapter 19: Asher

Asher, Elle, Jayden, and Elora found themselves mingling at the party. The fairy people weren't so bad when you got to know them. Some of them were downright charming. Asher found himself entangled with the beauty that the people and their world had to offer.

He wondered how a ball at Glorianna would compare to this.

A twinge of anxiety rose in his chest. Asher did his best not to think about Glorianna. There was too much to process when he thought about that. What happens to his home in the human world? Would he stay in Glorianna full time? Would he split it? What would happen to his mom?

Not the time, Ash.

They were talking to an incredibly preppy fairy with brunette hair. It was perfectly combed and styled. Not a single strand was out of place. He was muscular and looked to be a little older than Asher, Elle, and Jayden. Asher noticed that the fairy kept making eyes at Elle. He would tell a joke and instantly look at her to see if she was laughing. Asher wanted to pat the man on the back. She was already spoken for. And she was down bad.

"Then I had to quickly come up with a way to stop the dragons from ransacking the kitchen!" the man said with a condescending tone. "Tell me, have you ever stopped ten hungry dragons from going into a kitchen on chicken night? Not an easy task!"

Everyone in the group gave a polite laugh, and Elle looked at Asher and Jayden with a "save me" expression. Asher was just about to cut into the conversation when the doors to the castle swung open. The large oak doors slammed against the walls with a loud thud. The once cheery party had abruptly stopped. Nobody moved as the fairy guards ran throughout the great courtroom. They looked battered and bruised. Asher felt in his gut that something terrible was about to happen.

"Get out of the way!" the guard screamed as he shoved people to the side. "I must see the Queen!"

He ran up the stairs at a lightning-fast pace, and the crowd began buzzing with excitement. The feeling in Asher's gut intensified when he looked at Elle and Jayden. "I don't like this," Asher mumbled to Jayden.

"Man, can't we just have one normal fairy ball?" Jayden whined as Judah appeared at the top of the stairs. He stood next to a beautiful woman with tawny brown skin. Her hair was tied in a tight bun on the top of her head. She held a sword in one hand and a helmet that matched the armor she had on her body.

"She's really pretty," Jayden whispered.

"That's the Queen, Jayden," Elora whispered back. "None of that."

The entire room bowed upon seeing her and Asher, Jayden, and Elle followed suit. The only one left standing was Elora who politely nodded at her from the corner of the room they were in. "Citizens of Encantia," the Queen announced. "I will ask you to remain calm and enjoy the party while the Glorians and I go to take care of some business at our borders."

"Is it Gedeon?!" called one man.

"Is it the Plague of Dread?!" cried a woman through sobs.

"It is nothing we can't handle," the Queen said with a soft smile. "Enjoy the party. Eat food, drink drink, and dance the night away. We will be back shortly."

Whispers erupted throughout the room and the Queen motioned for Asher, Elle, Jayden, and Elora to join her and Judah at the stairs. They quickly made their way through the crowded room. The once celebratory mood was replaced with panicked theories and gossip.

When they arrived at the bottom of the stairs, the Queen nodded at each of them. "I am Queen Halayah. I assume we understand we are now allies?" she looked at Elora who nodded. "Good, because we are going to need all the help we can get."