Chapter 8: Asher

The entrance to the Aquins realm stood before Asher as he, Elle, Jayden, Judah, and Elora stood in front of the tiny pond. They were in a huge, empty cave until you reached the very back wall which held a tiny pond that sunk deep until you arrived in the underground city of Substansia, the Aquins territory. Quiet dripping sounds echoed loudly throughout the cave as water droplets fell from the stalactites on the ceiling.

"We just...jump in?" asked Asher.

"Not without an invitation," Elora answered.

Seconds later, two tall men with flippers that replaced their hands and feet rose from the pond. One had blonde hair and a rugged beard. His biceps were the size of Asher's head. The other was a redhead with a shaved face. Not quite as built as the blonde, but still an impressive physique. They nodded respectfully at Elora. "Welcome to Substansia," the blonde man said. "We are honored that Queen Elora of Glorianna has made our acquaintance. Unfortunately, we are under strict orders only to allow the boy who is to serve in our trial access to our city."

A fear settled into Asher's chest as he looked around at his friends. He clenched his hands into a fist and sweat instantly started to form around his palms. His heartbeat quickened and Asher found himself quietly taking deep breaths to help calm his nerves.

"That's not acceptable," Elora said authoritatively. "We will all-"

"We are under strict orders from Queen Elisandre," the redhead chimed in. "We don't mean any disrespect, your majesty. We are simply following orders."

Elora turned to the rest of the group and nodded before she grabbed Asher by the arm and turned him to face her. "Are you okay with this?" she asked him. "We can turn around."

Asher knew that wasn't true. Elora was trying to be kind to him, but he knew what was riding on him passing this trial. They needed help stopping the Plague of Dread and also needed help to get Selena back. Turning back isn't an option.

"I'm fine," Asher lied. He hoped his voice didn't sound as nervous as he felt as he gave Elora his best winning smile. "I'm sure I'll be back in no time." Asher turned back to the two men and nodded. "Well, let's get going, boys."

"Good luck," called Jayden as they walked out of the cave. "You got his, bro!"

Asher turned back to the two men and looked at them expectantly. "So what's the oxygen looking like down there?"

"The holder of the Dominion over water is unable to breathe under it?"

"Hey, hey, hey now," said Asher holding up his hand. "Gentlemen, there's no need to be snarky. I just didn't want to look like an idiot."

The blonde man rolled his eyes as he and the redhead sunk back into the water and disappeared. Asher jumped in after them and activated his powers. He watched as the water around him lit up with a light blue glow. He began picking particles from around him, and soon, a bubble formed over his mouth.

"Told you," he said as he swam after the two men.

Substansia's beauty blew Asher away. The buildings were made out of a pure crystal-like substance. An underwater market lined the seashell-lined streets. Vendors were selling everything from kelp cookies to different types of clothes. Asher was astounded at just how much like Earth it was under the water.

"Queen Elisandre has requested an audience," said the redhead as he led Asher through the streets of people. Asher got more than a few glances as he weaved in and out of the crowds. While Asher might have Dominion over the water, that has nothing to do with his athletic ability. He worked very hard to keep pace with the Aquins.