Chapter 9

Fia's POV

"The attire doesn't seem appropriate for waitressing." Angelo eyed me as I slipped on my heeled boots. I chuckled, looking myself over in the mirror. My jeans were like a second skin, and my lacy bodysuit showed the perfect amount of skin. I slipped on my matching black jacket and fluffed my dark locks.

"Where are you headed, you look spiffed up yourself." I asked, glancing at him through the mirror. He was also in all black, his pants and shirt looking extra crisp.

"I'm taking Edith to the Louvre." His cheeks flushed with color as I turned.

"Like a date?" I prodded. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked up at me through dark brows.

"Very romantic. That transport power sure does come in handy." I complimented while throwing in a pair of silver earrings.

"I'm sure one day you'll carry the same power." He was always so sure that we'd inherit every gift from our parents. Angelo bent elements just as well as mom. So far his powers have trickled faster than the rest of us. But I've yet to explore my smoke, or tell anyone about it for that matter. Deacon has seen it, he didn't fear it. Which was nice, because I feared it.

"I'm ready!" Fiore hollered from the living room. Angelo chuckled.

"I don't know if it's the best idea to take Fiore to work with you." He made a twisted face.

"I'm just gonna sit him at the bar while I work." I assured, Angelo didn't seem too convinced of the plan.

~~~~

"Stay here, don't get crazy. This is my job." I reminded my brother. He waved me off and leaned over the bar to order a drink. The place was in full swing, lights cascaded the dancers, it reeked of sweat liquor and smoke, but in a way that urged you to join.

None of the wait staff acknowledged me, I made my way around back, where I once saw Hale disappear to. Before I could cross the heavy curtain someone caught my arm.

"Where are you going?" I turned to see Hale himself, eyes dark, brows furrowed, and a nice suit tucked and ironed perfectly.

"The back, I assume I need training? Or need to fill out paperwork?" I leaned closer so he could hear me over the loud music. He shook his head.

"No paperwork, and no training." He slid his big hand down my arm, grabbing my hand. I followed close as he pulled me to the stairs, leading me up to their enclosed section. His hand slid to the small of my back as he guided me to their crescent booth. I immediately noticed Cain, his big stature leaned against one of the dark pillars as he watched his Beta guide me in the seat next to him.

I glanced around the booth, noticing all the men, dressed as nicely as Hale. A few girls were about, but not one sat at the table. Hale snaked an arm around my waist, pulling me flush to him. I turned, pressing my hand to his chest to keep the distance. As horny as I was and as handsome as Hale is, I was here for a job.

"Pretty thing. Where'd you find her?" One of the men spoke up. Hale leaned into me, his lips grazing my ear.

"Play." He whispered so quiet I didn't think I heard him correctly. The music drown out any heightened sense I had.

"Vidar land. She's a student." He responded to the man. I felt like a piece of meat, a trophy that was propped against him. Their gazes were dirty and harsh.

"You're short 27 thousand." Hale hardened his gaze at the man, who immediately went limp in his seat. Slowly I was putting the pieces together. Hales drugs, him needing the muscle.