002 . take those old records off the shelf

chapter 002 ,
take those old records off the shelf
halloween night

LUCY TOOK A LONG LOOK AT HERSELF IN THE MIRROR and tried not to vomit in embarrassment. Her costume had been thrown together last-minute, and it was incredibly obvious—an oversized button-up from her dad's closet, a pair of cheap sunglasses, and long white socks: Tom Cruise in Risky Business. A stupid costume for an even stupider party. The only reason she was even thinking about attending was because Jonathan told her he would be there, and Jonathan was practically her only friend, and Leo was out with his friends dressed as Ghostbusters, so Lucy had absolutely no other plans.

"I'm out, Mom," she called, standing in the doorway, her keys hanging off her finger. She waited for a reply. When none came, she yelled again, "MOM!"

"What, baby?" came her mom's voice, probably from the kitchen where she had a large glass of wine in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

"I'm leaving!"

"Have fun!" Heather called back. "Don't get pregnant!"

"Yeah, whatever," Lucy muttered. She paused for a moment of thought, then reached out and flicked the light switch for the porch lights off. Pretty safe to say Heather wouldn't be answering the door for any trick-or-treaters. Lucy scoffed, then shut the door behind her and left for the party.

     It wasn't hard to find where the event was being held; when she pulled to a stop at the end of the street, she could hear the music blasting from six houses down. She had to will herself not to get back in her car and drive home when the front door opened to a couple making out in the middle of the entryway. Somewhere, some stereo was blasting Girls On Film, but Lucy thought playing music was pointless if everyone was either talking over it or too drunk to keep their eyes open.

     She stood by the door for a second, holding her arm self-consciously. Her gaze danced around the room furtively. There was much to see, much to hear, and much to drink. She'd barely made it a step into the living room before the straw to a keg was shoved in her face, along with an empty cup. Against her better judgement, she took it, holding it in front of herself as the keg-holder spewed beer into it.

     "Lucy!" Jonathan's voice exclaimed. She turned to see him behind her, clad in a plain green jacket and jeans. Her eyes narrowed. He looked down at his outfit, then stammered, "I—uh, I didn't.. know what to wear."

     "Jonathan Byers, you asshole," she said, shoving his shoulder. "You told me to dress up!"

"And you look great!" he said, gesturing to her costume. "I mean, Tom Cruise is a good look on you."

"Yeah, thanks. You could've given me a heads-up that you weren't dressing up, though. I only wore this because you told me to."

     "Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry," he said. His eyes lingered on the cup in her hand for a moment, then trailed off to gaze around the party. "Um, you know, Nancy's dressed as Lana, so you could go talk to her.. Break the ice a bit. It's just weird if you and her are awkward."

     "Why is it weird?" Lucy asked nonchalantly, taking another sip of beer.

     "Because our siblings are all friends," Jonathan said, his tone that of obviousness. "And if you guys can't be cool with each other, that'll make, like... birthday parties and stuff really awkward. Besides, she's.. really drunk right now."

     Lucy's tongue pushed against her cheek thoughtfully. As much as she hated it, he had a point—and she couldn't hold a grudge for her ex finding a new girlfriend. It also was nothing like Lucy Andrews's nature to particularly dislike someone. Well, someone other than Steve Harrington.