E P I L O G U E

The sound of the bang rang through my mind. My world went dark. The ringing started and ended all at once. Was I even alive myself? The world was so dark I didn't even know if I had blood pumping through me or not.

When I opened my eyes I was met by the four blank walls of my barren room. The stale air felt so dull. The life of excitement completely drained from me.

I look toward my bedside table, the white table that wasn't anything but white... always, and color catches my eye. Blue. The purple blue hue that cascades across the field of Bluebell, sits upon my nightstand.

My body shoots out of bed as I reach for the blue object. I take the delicate item and twist it between my fingers. The Hyacinth. The hyacinth that named me. The one that still sat on the table beside my bed. Has this really all just been a dream?

I take a deep breath before I glance at my wrist. My eyes shift from the flower to my skin and my heart skips. I feel it physically skip a beat or two or maybe even ten. Two-hundred...fifty-two. I still had my entire timer left to get through. I was back at the start. I had to do this all over again.

Did I follow my dream? Was Clay actually my soulmate? We're the images painted in my mind a projection from the government? These were all questions I had to throw at Q. I needed answers. My book didn't make sense. My dream didn't make sense. My life had become a nightmare in less than 24 hours and I still had so many more days of this to go.

"Hyacinth!" My name rings from outside my door and the airlock to my room whooshes open. Q's small frame steps inside causing the door to shut quickly behind him.

"Q you have no idea the adventure I've been on. I have so many questions. I need answers. Now." I practically demand as I raise from my bed and disappear into the bathroom of my pod.

"The world is your oyster. Ask away mentee." Q leans against the door frame of my bathroom and I stare at my reflection in the mirror. I am clean. Clean for what feels like the first time in months. Except... it's only been a night.

But as I go to question Q. All my questions fail to spew out. It's as if someone locked them up with a key and stole it for themselves. I try to compose my mind but it's a fucking disaster. And entire tornado must have come through and whipped out my entire brain.

"I'm waiting, Hyacinth." Q speaks almost robotically in response. I feel like one wrong move and a wire inside of him might get pinched and I'll be mentorless forever.

"I'm sorry... I just..." I take a deep breath and splash my face with fresh water before trying to gather any words to say. "It's been a night Q." I huff as I dab a towel to my damp skin.

"It seems as though it's left you quite speechless. You must fill me in Hyacinth." The use of my name feels so... annoying. I've gotten so used to the nicknames from my dream that my full name, not coming from anyone but Clay, feels... fake.

"I dreamt of my soulmate. But it was more than that. My entire timer plus more time flashed before me. But it didn't flash. It was months and months of time Q." I ramble. I swear it's not even like I place a full stop at the end of my sentences. They all just morph together as I talk.

I speak and speak and continue to ramble on to him until the morning release alarm tolls. No... no. I need answers but instead I've spent the entire time I need with my mentor rambling. I've gotten nowhere. I haven't asked about the cryptic numbers. This is all some misunderstanding right?

The bang wasn't really the end of a dream. It couldn't have been. It makes no sense!

As the alarm finishes I take off and run until my body collides with another. We both stumble to the ground and I heave on the ground from the impact.