35

Our entire life is controlled by time. Every single thing we've ever known under this rule is time. We're taught about how precious that time is. Yet we spend what feels like half of our lives alone locked up in our pods. That is no way to live.

Time is too precious to waste. This is not working. Sure there isn't war. There isn't fear. There isn't hate. But there is much worse happening. A life full of emotionless robots. Emotionless robots that are fully human.

"You wanted to be a part of this." Clay says as I stand in the middle of Callahan's living space, with a camera pulled up in front of me. The object looks so ancient, but it's all we want back. We want the past to become the future. It's what we need to feel alive again. No more monotony.

I take a deep breath and look deep into the soul of the camera. Red flashes from on top of the ancient object and my powers ignite. My face turns to light, my powers blind my image to anyone who is listening.

"Today marks the first day of a new revolution. There are no more locked doors. No more bullshit rules. We are meant for freedom. We were born with freewill many ages ago. It's time to bring that back." My hands begin to sweat as I speak. The more words I say, the more my mind begins to mush coherent sentences together.

"Look for your soulmate but live. Live a life of freedom. Do as you wish. No more being locked behind these chain link fences. Explore. Divide and conquer. Find your long lost friends. Get what you want from life, not what someone else chooses for you." I look toward Clay as my words get lodged in my throat. It's hard to swallow. Nerves have completely engulfed me whole. They were right. I wasn't ready for this.

"But most important of all," Clay speaks, "keep your eyes wide open because the one you could be trying to find could be right under your nose all along." Clay glances at me. "Today the government ends. Today the people rise up."

"Today... our new lives begin." Nick says as he steps into frame with Clay and I. My light blinds us all, hiding our identity to the world. We are free from being labeled as kings and queens. We are all equal. None of us are better than the rest. That is how the world should be. Equal. Everyone is equal.

"Join us now at the government building. We have some people to dethrone." The red flashing light goes dark and the weight that held heavy on my shoulders flees. I am part of this now. I am the voice of this revolution.

***

"Hyacinth, you have to stay behind." Clay pushes hard against me, causing me to stumble back. Pain strikes my heart, but I know why he's doing it.

"Clay if my dashes go black so help me god." I say past gritted teeth. My hands clench at my sides and my jaw follows suit.

Life without Clay would be miserable, unbearable. It would be like someone took every single bit of living from me in a flash. They take him, they may as well take me to. You can say that I could find someone else, sure, but no one would be Clay. No one would be able to challenge me and push me like he has. He is my one and only soulmate. He is end goal. There is nothing, no one, past him.

"They won't." He assures me with a swift kiss to the cheek before running out the door of Callahan's home. He's behind on an important matter. But he'd much rather keep me safe then allow me to risk it all for him and his dreams and desires.

***

Callahan's house is oddly cold. The temperature relegation is off. Someone in the government is either on our side, our torturing those they know are too weak to fight in this revolution. I dig through Callahan's things and pull out a jacket that read's Clay on the front.