FORTY

"Do we have to go to school?" she asks Jasper, staring out at the snow-clad ground. "Mmh, we do."

"Something wrong with you?" Anastasia raises a brow at him, finally turning around. "Edward's back. He wants to befriend Isabella," he informs her. "He was gone?"

Jasper looks at her in amusement at that. Of course, she didn't notice. 

"You know, if this is stressing you out, we should probably just take the day off," she retorts. "Nice try, darlin', but nah."

"Please?" she sticks her bottom lip out. His eyes drop to her lips for a moment, a small smirk tugging on his own. "Nah." "Please?" Anastasia tries once more. 

Narrowing her eyes when he shakes his head, she sighs and makes her way to her closet. "Red or green?" she pulls out two sweaters. "Green. Accentuates your eyes," he replies after a moment. 

Throwing it on the bed, she rummages through her closet until she finds her black leather skirt with a golden zipper. "Three-piece necklace or rings?" "Uhm, I don't know, both?" "Yeah, no. When I take the necklace, the focus is on my neck and chest, it's the highlight of the outfit and if I chose the rings, it's on my fingers. Which adds more to the personality and all than the actual outfit. But still, the flair is different. Now, if I do both..." she starts to ramble. 

"Alright, fine. we can stay here," Jasper cuts her off eventually. Grinning happily, she lets herself fall onto the bed next to her clothes. "I got an idea, wait here," she gets back up and throws her clothes mindlessly back into her closet. 

Anastasia rushes into her sister's room, searches for the carnival make-up, and grabs a glass of water and some towels as she passes the bathroom before rushing back into her room. 

"Okay, sit down. And take your shirt off," she instructs him. "What do you think you're doing?" Jasper raises a brow at her. "What does it look like?"

Just looking at her for a moment, he gives in and sits down on her bed. Anastasia sits down next to him and pulls his arm into her leg. She starts easy. Outlining a pair of cowboy boots with a hat on top, hanging off on the side before giving her best at an attempt of a horse.

"I didn't know you can draw," Jasper observes her quietly as she paints more and more little pictures on his arm. "Hm, you don't really know a lot of things about me," she states. "So, tell me. What else can you do."

"Well, I guess I'm pretty good at music. Piano, guitar." "Which do you like more?" "Guitar, I guess. It is easier to carry around and I like the way it sounds. Antonina used to make me play it for her."

"What else?" "The snow, if I don't have to go outside. But I like looking at it, it's awfully comforting and gives you an excuse to stay inside and cuddle up in fuzzy blankets. And you know that I like reading," she means after a moment of stopping. She needed to concentrate. 

"What is it you do other than murder innocent animals?" Anastasia puts the spotlight on him instead. "I read or ride by bike. Reminds me of when it used to be horses."

"Oh, I'd pay everything to see you on a horse," she chirms in. "Mh, me, too. But animals aren't the biggest fan of vampires. After I turned, I tried to run. The first place I could think of was the stables, they were always my favourite. But when I got there the horses... they were afraid of me. I think it was the worst part about turning. I mean my family and I never really got along well but I loved the horses. Always have."

"I'm sorry." "No, it's alright. You get used to it over time."