vi. 𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐄

a/n: i'm retiring this cover ^ but i'm so happy with the way the new one turned out

Now playing from "Riot's in the sky":

𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐄
0:57 ━━━•──────── 3:59
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐄0:57 ━━━•──────── 3:59↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

ADMIRAL BATES TELLS US THAT THE MISSION HAS BEEN MOVED UP. A week early. The aviators in the room turn and look at each other. No one here has successfully flown a low level course yet. Maverick explains to us that in order for this mission two succeed, we need two consecutive miracles.

Two groups of two planes will be going on this mission. A leader and their wingman. The first miracle is the first team hitting the target that is less than 3 meters wide, creating a ventilation hatch so the second group can hit it. And if the second group delivers the kill shot, destroying the plant, that's the second miracle.

To get out we have to fly a very insanely steep slope out of there. Pulling at least 9 g's. Way more than the accepted limit. It's crazy difficult. You'll be pulling so hard it'll feel like you weigh 2,000 pounds. You have to fight with everything you have to keep from blacking out.

The next phase is coffin's corner. We fly straight up into the SAM's radar, at our most vulnerable point.

"Sir, is this even achievable?" Phoenix asks.

"That will come down to the pilot in the box." Maverick answers solemnly.

-¯'★'¯-

AT LUNCH, everyone was talking about the mission. Phoenix was going on about how crazy it is, most everyone agreeing with her. Hangman, of course, thought that he'd be able to fly it just fine. I wasn't listening much, I was too busy staring at Bradley after what happened last night.

I don't know, I might be crazy but I felt like there was something there. I mean why else would he be singing to me in the middle of a bar. Especially with Hangman. The way he danced with me felt different. The way he looked at me looked different.

Then again, he used to sing to me all the time, so maybe he really didn't mean anything by it. Maybe it was just a piece offering to reconcile our friendship.

A piece offering sounds a-okay to me, but why do I want it to be the first option?

"May." Rooster's voice cuts me out of my thoughts. "Don't you have to be heading down to the tarmac now? Your the first group up, its half past noon."

"Shit." I say when I realize what he meant. I grabbed my stuff and headed to the doors of the cafeteria. "Thanks Bradshaw."

"Anytime." His gaze followed me out of the room.