i. 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐘 𝐋𝐀𝐃𝐘 𝐌𝐀𝐘

Now playing from "Riot's in the sky":

𝐋𝐀𝐃𝐘 𝐌𝐀𝐘

0:57 ━━━•──────── 3:59

↻      ◁  II  ▷     ↺

I KNEW SOONER OR LATER IT WOULD HAPPEN. Getting called back to Top Gun. I just didn't know why. The orders I received had no intel on the reason I was wanted back. But alas, I had to temporarily pause my life here in Colorado and go serve my duties in Miramar.

I had built myself a good life here, and I was sad to leave. Because with as little information I was given, who knows when I will be back. It's been 5 years since I was at Top Gun, and since I was raised in the military I've been longing to go back, but I've tried to ignore it and act like I've moved on.

My father, Jake "Rico" Austin, is a highly respected Navy Admiral. When I was younger My family would always follow him from post to post, going wherever the Navy willed him to go. It didn't take long for the desire to be just like him set in.

As soon as I was old enough, I enlisted into the military. I quickly climbed the ranks and made it to Top Gun to prove I was as good of an aviator as my father. At Top Gun I met the best people and made many memories with them. As much as I'd like to see them again, I don't know if I could handle it. Or to put it plainly, I don't think someone wants to see me again.

Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw was my best friend at Top Gun. Our fathers flew together and our moms were good friends. They made jokes that one day we would fall in love, but would roll their eyes and say "Oh, my, my".

Of course, that obviously didn't happen. We were just friends and that is all we would ever be. We stuck our necks out for each other when we were at Top Gun. Heck we even made up each other's callsign. We had inside jokes, and always made eye contact whenever Hangman said something stupid, then secretly laugh about it later. He was there for me when my mom passed. He was there for me every time I got in trouble with the higher ups. And he was there with the biggest smile when I graduated top of my class.

After graduation, we went our separate ways and our friendship was outgrown. I think the last time I talked to him was at his mom's funeral. And even then, I don't think he wanted to see me at all.

So, I decided to put all of that behind me and leave it at Top Gun. I moved on with my life and built myself a career like my mom would've wanted. But now that I have to return to Top Gun, I'm worried all of it is going to come back.

After an affirmative from my boss, I packed up my life and set on the road to leave temporarily. I went through some of my things from Top Gun to prepare myself before leaving. I found a cd Bradley had burned for me as a graduation present. I listened to that religiously after graduation because I missed him, and it was comforting to listen to songs he picked for me. But after I realized he didn't want to see me anymore, I stashed it away with the rest of my memories from Top Gun.

Because I have a 16 hour drive back to base, I figured hell why not. I'll reminisce about the good ol' days to prepare myself for whatever's waiting for me in Miramar. Of course the first song to come on was 'Lady May'. I skipped it. I didn't want to think of Bradley.

"Lord, the wind can leave you shiverin'. Bradley sang to me. My class just got done with our first mission. It was a success so we are all celebrating together.

"As it waltzes or it leaves. It's been rushin' through my timber"

"Til your love brought on the spring." I rolled my eyes and joined him in singing. Grinning up at him, he took my hand in his and started dancing with me. I could listen to Bradley sing for a life time. The way his expressions move as he sings to me is just magical.

"Now the mountains all are blushin'

The other aviators are starting to put their attention onto Rooster and I. Although I feel a bit self conscious, Bradley doesn't. He keeps singing like we were the only ones in the room.

"And they don't know what to say, 'cept a good long line of praises"

He pulls me close to him as he finishes the verse.

"For my lovely Lady May."

I hear a few whistles and look around the room. Everyone was looking at us.

"Oh my god, just make out already!" Phoenix teases. Everyone laughs as Rooster and I jump apart from each other. I look down cause I know my face is bright red.

-¯'★'¯-

My lovely Lady May.

    I feel like I've been driving for forever. But after a few long days, I finally made it to base. I got out of my car and stretched my legs. I had an awful cramp from being stuck inside my small vehicle for so long.

    I unpacked my things, but after a while the exhaustion kicked in. 

    This Lady May needs a drink.

A/N

Ahh! Here it is, the first chapter of Lady May!! I can't express how excited I am for this story and how in love with Rooster i am.

The U.S. Military is confusing and I know next to nothing about flying planes, so please correct me on any mistakes!!

This whole story revolves around the song "Lady May" by Tyler Childers. It is such a beautiful song, so you should go give it a listen. I also have a playlist full of songs that will be featured in this story. If you would like to listen, the playlist is linked in the first part of the story!!

I really hope you enjoyed this!!

- CJ