CHAPTER ELEVEN

Her heart stopped beating. Her fork was poised halfway to her mouth.  She did not know if she should continue eating, and delay any response, or answer as the eyes of three vultures keenly waited in anticipation. She dared not look at any of the adults, their silence could be measured in decibels.

Putting her fork down, she cast a sideward glance at Justin.
‘You say that, like you’re asking me to pass you the salt!’
Caitlin threw at him ever so casually. Surely she deserved an Oscar nomination.

‘So will you?’

I want to wring your neck, young man!

She innocently passed him the salt. She could see her mom and dad grinning.  She refused to look in Nicholas’ direction.

‘I did not mean the salt!’ Justin complained.

‘That’s all you’re getting, excuse me.’ Caitlin rose from the table, ‘I have to perform some duties as a slave to the bride.’ 

Nicholas rose, as she stood up. ‘May I have a word with you?’ she demanded to Nicholas. He nodded his eyes amused, and perceptive as to her summons.

‘You could have been a gentleman and deflected that question!’ she flung at him.

‘But everybody, including myself was interested in your response,’ he teased, unperturbed at her anger.

‘Do you think it’s funny?’ she glared at him.

‘You did a very good job, deflecting the question my darling,’ he murmured, pulling her into his arms.

‘Don’t you__ don’t you __ darling me!’ her eyes failed to portray the anger she wanted it to reflect, as her heart hopped and skipped at being in his arms.

His lips covered hers, silencing her feeble attempt, at a response.  Her arms rose up to his chest, to fend him off her, but when her fingers accidently came into contact with his bare flesh, her fingers became paralyzed. She groaned softly, her arms traveling around his neck. His lips like a magnet, drawing her tongue out. She responded, hungry for him.  Her mouth closing over his, her tongue seductive over his upper lip. Her fingers raked into his hair, caressing the nape of his neck. He yanked her body against his, his palms, sliding down her spine, caressing over her petite bottom, his fingers hot on her bare thighs. Caitlin shoved him away, all frustrated.

‘I did not call you out here for that,’ she threw at him, out of breath.

‘You were enjoying it as much as I was,’ his angry eyes flashed at her.

I called you out here, to tell you, to stop using a child to do your bidding for you!’ she spat at him in fury. Her insinuation provoked his wrath. He grabbed her wrist painfully bruising her.  She winced from the pain, but he did not let up.

‘I do not need others to do my bidding. Neither did I have any prior knowledge that Justin would throw that question at you.'

 ‘You’re hurting me!’ she tried to jerk her hand away to no avail.

He shoved her away from him, walking away.  To think that last night, at the pool, they were adoringly gazing into each other’s eyes.

How could she have fallen in love with this egotistical brute!

Stuart was visibly relaxed when he saw Rebecca was on time.

‘That’s a good omen, I guess I have you to thank sis, I know punctuality is a hallmark of your character. My darling bride still needs to get there.’

Caitlin kissed her brother on his cheek. ‘You’ll get there together, with every aspect of your marriage. I wish you both all the happiness in the world.’ She smiled at her brother. He hugged her happily.