𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢.

[INSTAGRAM]

@chrisevans posted a photo.

1h ago

• • • • 

• • • • 

Scott rose from the dining table, rapidly tapping his champagne glass with a fork to grab everyone's attention. From a corner of the room, someone turned down the Bluetooth speaker that had been playing soft jazz. Once those present had gone quiet, he spoke. "Hey, y'all! I wanna thank everyone for coming out tonight. If everyone could grab their drinks of choice, I'd like to make a toast..."

As people grabbed their glasses or cups, Chris took a glance around their apartment, a warm feeling in his chest at the faces of he and Faith's closest friends and family all assembled just to celebrate their engagement. It was one of those life moments you cherished forever.

Speaking of his fiancée (something Chris would never get tired of saying), he wasn't sure just exactly where she'd run off to. His gaze roamed about, but he didn't see her anywhere. "Scott, hold on a sec—has anyone seen the bride to be?!"

After some of the partygoers did their own quick glances, someone shouted: "I think she went to the bathroom!"

Meanwhile, in the upstairs bathroom, Faith sat on the edge of the tub, leg bouncing restlessly as she stared at the pregnancy test sitting on a corner of the sink.

"The results aren't gonna come faster by staring at it, you know..." Hope commented from where she stood leaned against the door.

"Shut up." Faith whined, heaving a sigh. She'd been feeling off all day—but with none of the usual symptoms except for a late period. She hadn't mentioned anything to Chris mainly because of today, and while for most of the party she'd put on a good poker face, Hope had bought a test from the CVS on the corner and brought it with her. Faith took an opportunity when no one was conversing with her to slip away and take it. "How long does it say on the box again?"

"Five minutes. I need you to take deep breaths, okay? Nothing good's gonna happen if you have a panic attack."

She took a few breaths in and out slowly, but it did nothing to ease the anxiety in her chest. "I feel like I'm going crazy."

"When was the last time y'all had sex?"

"The night he proposed," Faith answered after running a hand over her face. "I still have my IUD in, so we weren't really thinking about anything else."

"Well nothing's ever 100%, you know that. Y'all have talked about kids, right?"

"Yeah, but not this early." Faith said with a dry chuckle. "I mean, we wanna be parents. I just don't know how he'll react if we become parents on the day of our engagement party. What if he's mad?"

Hope walked over and gave her baby sister a tight hug. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves before we even know what the test says."

A knock on the door made them both look up. "Babe? You good in there? We were looking for you, Scott's about to do a toast."

Faith nearly fell over into the tub as Chris's voice hit her ears. "Um, I'm good! Just having a—"

"She's having some stomach issues!" Hope cut in, making Faith immediately flip her off.

"Will you shut up?" Faith whispered harshly.

"Is Hope in there with you?" Chris asked before knocking again.

"I'm letting him in," Hope made a beeline for the door before Faith could offer any sort of protest, and she let out yet another sigh in defeat.

Chris peeked his head in before fully stepping inside, looking between the sisters curiously. "Is...everything okay?"

Faith took one look at her fiancé and promptly burst into tears.

"Jesus, the hormones are starting already..." Hope muttered, easing her way past Chris and toward the sink. Without looking at it, she picked up the pregnancy test and placed it on Faith's lap. "I'll make up an excuse downstairs. You two, talk. Now."

Chris had no clue what the hell was going on, except for the fact that Faith was sitting on the edge of the bathtub crying her eyes out. In two strides he was at her side, taking a seat in front of her on the floor near the bathmat. "Based on what I'm looking at right now, asking if you're okay would be a stupid question..."

She sniffled and wiped her eyes, reaching for one of his hands and gripping tight. "Please don't be mad at me."

"Why would I be mad at you?" He asked, his voice soft and warm. "Baby, talk to me–"

"Don't say that word."

"What word?"

"Baby."

His eyebrows furrowed. "Why not?"

"Because," She grabbed the test from her lap with her free hand and turned it over, the display finally having loaded. "I've got one in me right now and I'm freaking the hell out, Chris."

"You've got..." Chris blinked, then looked at what she was holding, as though finally realizing just what it was. She held it out to him, still sniffling, and a rush of emotions zipped through his chest as his eyes fell on the words, in bold font, pregnant. "Holy..."

"I didn't say anything at first because I thought it was just a missed period, but...the math makes sense."

"The night I proposed," He muttered softly, a hand over his mouth.

"Yeah. Chris, I'm so sorry. I know this wasn't in the plan, especially today of all days. We should've just used a condom, even though I'm usually pretty confident with my IUD it's not always effective, and–"

"Whoa, hey, shh. Shh..." His voice slowed her rambling, and when Faith looked into his eyes, she saw that they were brimming with unshed tears. "Let's forget about every plan we've made, and everybody that's downstairs. What do you want to do? Do you want to keep it?"

Faith felt like her head was spinning, but she took a few breaths and tried to calm her nerves. "If you want to."

Chris shook his head, the action causing a few tears to inadvertently fall. His hands went to either side of her face, stroking her cheeks with the pads of his thumbs. "What do you want to do, my love?" He asked again, voice even softer this time. "Do you wanna have a baby?"

There was only one answer in her heart of hearts in that moment, and so Faith said it with a teary laugh. "Yes. Yes, I wanna have a baby. They need to meet the best future dad in the world, and that's something I can't wait to see."

They were both crying by the time he pulled her in for a kiss. It was a little messy, and kind of awkward because of their seated positions, but it didn't matter because they'd made a transition from Chris and Faith to Mom & Dad, and somehow it felt all the more beautiful.

• • • •

i hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! only the epilogue is left, and then we're finished... 🥺

manip by hcpemikaelsons <3