Chapter Fifteen- The Brass Beetle

March 17, 2016. 12:26

Mount Justice

~~Emma~~

"Name?"

"Brass Beetle."

"No, we know that one." I slapped my hand over my face, rubbing my temples vigorously, "What's your other name? Your secret identity?"

"Oh!" The new girl blushed, embarrassed, "Sarah. Sarah Johnson."

Jaime put a hand on his best friend's shoulder in reassurance.

"How long have you known her, Jaime?" Nightwing asked from behind me.

"Since we were nine," Jaime told us smoothly. "She is one of the smartest, if not nerdiest, people I know. She made her scarab that's just like mine."

"Alright, we got that, but what about trust?" I felt awkward talking about Sarah when she was right here in front of us.

Through Jaime, with the additional begging of Bart, Bridget, Rachel, and Gar, we had extended an invitation to Brass Beetle to join the team. After getting parental permission, we had brought a very excited Brass Beetle to Mount Justice for an interview and training. At the moment, we were trying to get her whelmed. It wasn't really working, but at least she stayed quiet unless spoken to.

"Well, we'll need your medical care and emergency contact information, but otherwise, your in," I told Sarah, sliding a few forms, stapled together, across the table to her.

She looked at Jaime, "I thought this was the super-heroing biz, not a school field trip."

Nightwing laughed a humorless laugh, "They aren't very different, sadly." He told her apologetically.

I flashed her now pale face a reassuring smile, "But this sure is a heck of a whole lot more fun."

I shoved my notes from the interview into her team file, putting it in e drawer with Bridget and Bart's and everyone else's.

"Jaime can show you around the cave, and anyone can help you if you need anything. Nightingle or Wildfire will train with you personally to help you get caught up with the rest of the team."

"And don't worry, you're not the only one," I told her, looking towards the door where Bart and Bridget had been eavesdropping for the past thirty minutes. I opened the door and a gust of wind blew through the hall, as if that wasn't a dead giveaway.

"Welcome to the team, Brass Beetle." Willow grinned, coming down the hall with Connor and the Beast Twins.

"Um, thanks." Sarah blushed a deep red, taking a step closer to Jaime. Willow met my look and raised an eyebrow, clearly interested.

"Can we see your armor? Does it really look just like Jaime's?" Rachel asked. She stood on her tiptoes and got veeeery close to Sarah's face.

"Um...uh," she started nervously.

I blinked my eyes and Bart stood there with his arm around Sarah, "Hey there! I'm Bart Allen, aka Impulse. You must be Brass Beetle aka Sarah Johnson. Can I call you BB? Or how about Rar?" As he spoke, the junior speedster alternated which shoulder he leaned on, and I could see that was bothering Jaime and confusing Sarah.

Bridget came zooming down the hall dressed in her civvies, "Is it true that you made your own scarab?" She asked doubtfully, leaning against the cave wall.

Sensing a catfight was about to break out in the crowded hallway, I looked for a quick way out.

"Time for training!" I shouted, cupping my hands around my mouth.