Chapter 1: a day like any other

☆۝☆

Today was just like any other. I woke up with the sun blazing on my face, the alarm clock blaring out a very annoying sound, and of course me reaching out to silence it and somehow ends up facepalming the floor.

What a great way to start my morning.

Note the sarcasm.

I groaned, annoyed at being disturbed during my beauty sleep. A girl needs her sleep after all.

And food. Let's not forget food.

At that thought, I became conscious of the burning smell through my apartment.

I quickly stood up and ran through the door. As I turned right, I slipped on the carpet and balanced myself with a hand on the floor.

I looked forward and saw my best friend, who might as well be my brother, fanning away the smoke with his hand and proceeded to throw a pan in the sink.

"That was my favorite!" I exclaimed as I ran towards the sink.

I examined it and whatever he was trying to cook it was clearly burnt to crisp. I turned around and there stood my brother.

He was wearing an apron with the design I'm the cook over his shirt. I glared at him as he scratched the back of his neck and avoided eye contact as much as possible.

"Yah Kim Dokja! This is why I do the cooking. I thought we've established that you suck at cooking." I say as I rip out the apron from him.

"I'm sorry J." He looks at me apologetically.

"I'm seriously regretting giving you my passcode oppa." I went to lay down at the couch, already missing the warmth of my bed.

I heard footsteps walking towards me while I had my eyes closed trying to get back to my Dreamland. When I heard a soft mumble I opened my eyes.

I saw Dokja-oppa crouching by my side with a tight-lipped smile. "Did you stay up reading again Jiyoon?" I nodded at him with one eye closed.

I heard a soft meow down the couch and felt my cat Juno jump to snuggle with me.

I saw Oppa smiling at us. He then caressed my hair, "I'm worried about leaving you alone."

I felt my lips tug upwards hearing him worry for me. "I'm a big girl Oppa. And you're not my only friend you know. If you're worried that much, I'll just go to their house." I told him pointedly.

"That would be great sis." He looked at the clock behind him seeing it was time to go to work. "I'm going now, make sure you eat. I know you sometimes forget."

Food may have been my life but I sometimes get too caught up in my drawings or reading or writing to notice how much time has passed. There was one time when Dokja went to work early and had to work 'til midnight because of some deadline, he lived just across my apartment and I only noticed that I hadn't eaten all day when he asked. It was a bad habit so he made sure I always had my reminders on so I would eat on time.

He may have been a bad cook but he's a really good friend.

After he headed out I stayed in the same position for about 30 minutes, just laying there thinking about all my life choices and all that shit.

I look beside me and there lay Juno, sleeping peacefully. I have decided to get up but seeing him sleeping on my arm, I didn't want to disturb him. I slowly moved away my arm but I still failed, obviously, so he woke up.

"Hey little guy, I'm going to go see a friend. Wanna come along to annoy her?" I asked him but he just sat there staring at me. I'm not sure why but I feel nervous, dang I felt like I was being judged by this guy.