Chapter 27: Plotting and Suprises

Jennette counted it as a win in her book.

*************

Over the next few days, Jennette met her father more and more. Time seemed to fly by, and soon, it was nearing the end of Athanasia's two week probation.

"How about this dress?" Rose suggested, snapping Jennette out of her thoughtful state. Over the course of one week, the brunette's closet had grown exponentially, and it became glaringly obvious that she was running out of space. 'When will father move me to the Emerald palace?' She thought, slightly ruffled.

Realizing that she never responded to Rose's inquiry, Jennette hummed. "Anything you choose will be fine. Hurry though, I have tea with father this morning." She warned.

He her three maids were quickly spurred into action at them mention, and eventually Rose put the dress back on the rack in favor of another. "Princess, this one is from His Majesty, so you remember?" She asked, lifting it so Jennette could see.

Of course she remembered. She received it a few days prior when the pair were having afternoon tea. It was a lovely, white dress with red ribbons. Jennette smiled, instantly feeling better as she slipped it on, doing a little spin.

Quickly, She hurried off to the gardens, where Claude was waiting. When she arrived, Claude was already there......but he seemed dazed. 'Oh, it's around the time Diana died, isn't it?' It was only nearing the end of December, after all.

Jennette decided that today would be relaxed, kissing him on the cheek and settling next to him without her usual theatrics. Once breakfast was served, the brunette ate her fill, but didn't make any small talk. 'I'll let him rest.'

After the pair finished eating, Claude still had yet to day a word. She sent Mary a look and motioned to the empty tea cups on the table. Luckily, her maids were perceptive, and quickly produced a steaming kettle of tea.

Jennette decided she herself would pour the Emperor's tea, carefully swirling her mana within the liquid before slinging the beverage over to him. Only after Claude took a hearty sip did some color return to his face. "Are you okay daddy?" She asked cautiously.

The emperor made a noise of acknowledgment. After a few more moments of silence, Claude spoke. "When is your birthday?" He asked suddenly.

Jennette blinked. Of course he wanted to know. In hindsight, the brunette supposed that she should have told him earlier, but it was much too late now. "January 3rd." She said cheerily, pretending to be blissfully unaware of the alarmed looks she got.

"What?" Claude snapped, now very much awake. "It's nearing the end of December." He felt the need to point out. Now, even if he rushed, there was no way a banquet could be held since it was far too late to sent out invitations.

The princess smiled. "It's okay daddy." She assured. "I don't need a banquet, I'm fine." A devilish thought struck her. 'Isn't Claude's own banquet in February?' Jennette perked up. "To make it up, I want to be the first dance at fathers banquet!" She declared. Internally, she smirked at the idea of Athanasia having to watch as the pair danced. It would show the world that in the span of a little over a month, she too was beloved.

In the moment, the thought of Athanasia failed to cross the Emperor's mind as he agreed. "Very well." Still, something in his eyes spoke that he was unsatisfied. Jennette decided to leave it to him, wondering what kind of plan was brewing within his head.

She ignored the tugging feelings in the back of her mind. "You'll really be by escort?" She chipped cheerfully. "No take backs, okay? Promise!" She demanded. Jennette remembered a very similar scene in the novel. The time where Athanasia asked Claude to attend the her debut with her.

It seemed Claude remembered as well. His eyes widened a fraction larger. "I promise."

Satisfied, the brunette princes leaned back again her seat.

After a moment of still silence, Jennette suddenly remembered something. "Daddy, when will I be moving to the Emerald palace with Athy?" She asked innocently. What was taking so long.

"Today."