Chapter 1

"Enjoy the show."

Friday night shifts at the cinema were always longer and busier than regular nights for Robin, but with Halloween around the corner, things were hectic. Hawkins is a small town close enough to in the middle of nowhere, but kids need a place to make out freely without the interruption of their parents, parents need an escape from their children and people need to live a little with a new hot picture.

Robin closed the register and left the last couple in line with a final smile.

She was adjusting her uniform, the wine-red waistcoat she had over her white shirt in particular, tugging at the neck hem a little, when Carey said, "Check it out," completely abandoning her own register now that the crowd had cleared.

Robin glanced over and followed her co-worker's eye-line across the lobby to none other than Monica Haring. Her golden hair looked bigger somehow today, fluffier, and the whole high boots, flares and striped top layered with her typical brown cord jacket was a new look. Earlier in the school hallway she was wearing a cream cable-knit sweater with thickly belted jeans. She looked so untouchable then with her books held close to her chest and her luscious blowout bouncing on her shoulders. Her gleaming smile was the kind that turned heads and stopped feet.

But the room was entirely empty here. There were no heads to turn and no feet to stop other than that of the cinema employees behind the counter, already staring for that matter. And Monica wasn't smiling, not even close. She looked nervous almost, twiddling a ring on her finger as far as Robin could tell, and her eyes were averted from them. Hell, they probably weren't even on her radar yet, even as she looked around for someone.

"Who'd you think she's waiting for?" Carey asks just as Monica visibly gives up.

"I have no idea," Robin says, stuck in a daze.

"My money's on Reed Wilson."

"Didn't that happen forever ago?" Robin snaps, brought back to earth.

"Allegedly. And she has a million and one reasons to take him back, starting with those big dreamy eyes."

"One, you need to seek serious medical attention because the only way I'd see him in my dreams is if I'm having a nightmare," Carey rolls her eyes, but Robin doesn't stop, "and two, that's history. Everyone and their mom knows that."

"Okay, okay. What about Tommy H? You know, now that him and Carol are splitsville or whatever?"

"Why does it have to be a guy?" Robin asks, clearly frustrated. "Maybe she's waiting on said Carol—they're friends."

"It's eight on a friday night," Carey tilts her head pointedly. "She's waiting on a date."

"Sounds like a real catch."

Carey humphs a laugh, returning to general occupational duties like turning the buttered popcorn and pretending to look busy for the time being.

Robin's side smile shrank the more she trained her eye on Monica across the room, roaming the carpeted floor idly. She came to a sullen stop against the wall, checking the watch on her wrist before shoving her hands in her jacket pockets and leaning her head against the wall.

She was there for a good while. Robin had served less customers than Monica had been there minutes.

When Robin handed her tickets to a trio of sophomores, she glimpsed over at the same wall, expecting to see Monica still there. She wasn't and Robin searched in what felt like an aimless attempt to find her, but was only forced to shake the lingering disappointment she felt when there was no avail, masking it with a smile as she said her goodbyes to the customers.