Chapter 2

On the way out, Robin exchanged her goodbyes with Carey and then proceeded to check the tape she had in the walkman clipped along her waist. It was a French one she had that she used to practice enunciation more than her listening skills, if anything an amalgamation of both, but with her headphones hanging from her ears, she didn't press play just yet.

She had gotten a little down the quiet street, reasonably empty for the middle of the night, except for Monica leant against a brown sedan that Robin could only assume was her's as Billy stood toweringly close. He rested his hand on the car roof behind her, his head hanging low with this slanted grin twisting on his lips, but it wasn't enough to stop Monica from dropping her head too, trying to block his eye-line.

"Wait a second," she smirks. "You're not falling for me now, are you, California?"

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?"

Monica clenched each hem of his denim jacket, "Oh my ego loves it because you totally are," and she pounded her fists a little to tease him, his body not rocking once under the pressure. Robin was still some feet away as she walked by, trying not to stare.

"You're real cute."

"Deflection's cuter."

Robin suddenly wished she had tried harder the second she walked into a lamp post, her hand flying to her head. "Shit."

"Are you okay?"

She looked up from the step back she had taken, both pairs of eyes landing on her under the dim lighting.

"Yeah," Robin lies easily. "I'm good. I'm great. Dandy." She picks up her feet, turning so she could still physically bear the couple attention, all the while fleeing the scene seamlessly.

But Monica's concern was unfaltering. "Are you sure?"

Robin started to internally recoil. "Yeah. Was Terminator the right choice?"

"It was, yeah," Monica smiled at the girl slowly drawing away with metres of space already distancing them.

"That's why you should always listen to me," Billy says, tearing Monica's eyes off of Robin who had taken the final step that had retreated her out into the darkness of the night again, with nothing but the glimmering moonlight salvaging her existence. "I'm just too damn good at being right."

Robin turned around entirely, purpose bringing more life to her stride with each foot that moved in front of the other. She looked over her shoulder once, barely able to make out features of either Monica or Billy's silhouettes.

"If I listened to you I'd end up with my head halfway up your ass like the rest of your cult following."

"Oh sweetheart, you're welcome anytime."

"And on that note, goodnight." She angled her body just enough to open the car door, only for Billy to slip his arm down from the roof just enough that the door wouldn't budge.

She rolled her eyes, refusing to turn around when he stepped close enough that his breath would have fanned her neck had her hair not bounced on her shoulders and back. "Let's make it a great one." His voice is low, dangerously amorous and she could have sworn she felt it in the pit of her chest.

Her tongue pushed against the inside of her cheek, and his hands placed themselves on her hips. He turned her around with no element of force, just coercion, and once their bodies were facing one another, she looked up.

"After half the shit you pulled in that theatre, how are you still going?"

"When you look this sexy, how d'you expect me to stop?"