Chapter Fourteen

Warning: Semi-graphic description of violence from ("huh?" She asks confusedly) to (I did it).

The next day, Brandon picks me up in tight-lipped silence. I turn back and notice he didn't pick Jessica up today.

I press my lips together to keep from laughing.

When we get to school, Jessica runs up and hugs me. "I can't believe this happened." She lets me go and looks to Brandon. "Brandon, please—"

"No!" He yells, and I'm caught off guard. I knew he would be angry but this is beyond that. "You never bothered to tell me that you just do this?"

"What happened?" I ask, trying to hold in my laughter.

Jessica turns to me wide-eyed. "You don't know? Oh thank goodne—"

"Jessica slept with half the modeling agency to get the opportunities she was given."

Jessica turns to Brandon in shock. "Why would you tell her?" She asks, voice breaking.

"Is that why you couldn't get answers for the assignment? Because you couldn't find anyone who would slum it with you?"

"Brandon, come on," I try to "console" him, but he stomps off.

"Why was he so mad?" I ask Jessica.

Jessica tells me in between sobs, "He probably thinks I'm like his mother."

I put on a sympathetic face and lead her to the bathroom so we could talk. "What do you mean?" I prod further.

Jessica sobs, and I pat her back as she continues. "Sh-she wasn't the best. I re-remember h-h-how Br-Brandon would tell me he'd cry as h-he came home because he s-s-saw his mother with a n-new guy in his h-h-house every d-day, and now he hates me!" she burst into tears, and it took everything in me to muster up shock. This is even better than I expected.

But the job's not done yet. No, she's caused me too much pain.

"Hey, how about you come over to my house today?" I offer.

She looks up at me. "You don't hate me?"

I shake my head. "No. But I want to know why."

Jessica sniffles. "Th-that's understandable. Okay, you can text me when I should come." She gives me a grateful look. "Thank you."

I nod, smiling. Don't worry Jessica, I'll find a way to make this all better.

---

I hear a knock on the door and open it.

"Hey!" I smile at Jessica. She looks really rough, wearing sweatpants and a loose green sweater.

It's a beautiful sight.

I wave her inside. She looks around but doesn't say anything, probably because I invited her here and it would be rude to comment on the condition of the house of her only friend.

"So, Jessica." I close and lock the front door. "Why did you do those things?"

Jessica fidgets with her fingers as she looks at the carpeting, her hastily packed bun flopping up and down. "My mom pressured me, saying that if I did, it would help pay for everything. And it did. It helped with my scholarship, with my followers, everything. Since she got me the opportunities for modeling, I couldn't just say no. Now everything's gone. The followers, the money, my friends, my life, it's ruined."

She looks up at me. "But at least you stayed. You're a true friend."

We share a smile. "Gosh, it's so bright in here." I pull the curtains over each of the windows.

"Hey Alyssa," I turn to her after I've finished. "I'm sorry if you thought I spent too much time with Brandon. Are we cool?"

I smile genuinely. "We're cool."

Jessica rises and we embrace.

"And I'm sorry about lying to you, Jess."

"Huh?" she asks confusedly.

I shove my hand into my pocket and pull out the coated switchblade, jutting it into her stomach. She gasps and I take the switchblade out, watching her clasp the wound, seeing the blood on her fingertips. She looks up at me, face twisted with betrayal. I push her to the floor, and she sits in a heap. She tries to say something, but the poison takes effect and her eyes start to glaze over. She tries to get up to the kitchen, and I just hold her down, my eyes set in determination. I whisper in her ear, "Never take what's mine."

Then I step back and watch her collapse, her body unmoving.

I did it.

I finally did it.

My mind is silent as I look down at her lifeless body. Then I start to laugh, a small giggle escaping from my mouth. It grows louder, increasing with volume as I run my fingers through her hair, pull open her eyes, lift her fingers up, then let them drop. I grab her hair and drag her, my laughter echoing through the basement as I make my way down the stairs, the satisfying sound of her body being towed behind me, imagining the bones inside of her breaking. I keep dragging her to where Ms. Baker is. I plop her down in a chair, tying her hands and feet to the legs of the chair. I face her head towards me. "Now, I can look at you every day and remember how I won."

I shift my eyes toward Ms. Baker, intense fear in her eyes. "You won't tell anyone, will you?" I grin and leave the basement, locking the door behind me.

He's mine. He's all mine.