Six: Fame

He had long before dreamed of becoming a star. He had what it takes, looks, talent and an air of arrogance that can take him anywhere.

No one knew how hard he practices at night just to perfect some dance moves for his dance class. How hard he tries to hit a note for his voice lessons and how hard it is to always maintain his confidence even if everybody seems to think that he only got this far because ofhis looks.

And all his hard works paid off; today he sat with his professor together with the most influential man in the entertainment industry. Are we ready to sign this deal?” he said in an exciting tone. He couldn’t help but smile with the same excitement as his. It looks silly, but his dream is right in front of him and all he can do is smile goofily as he reaches for it.

“Here’s the contract, there are terms and conditions you might want to review first before signing.” He hands out pieces of paper to him and to his professor, “But I guess nothing in this contract will stop you for reaching for your dreams.”

He recklessly browsed the first few parts since he knew well enough

that it involves roughly training, living in a dorm, appearing on sitcoms or even some embarrassing shows that make you do things you’re not supposed to do but then he reaches number eighteen and a sudden pang shot right through his heart.

18. No boyfriend/girlfriend for a span of three years. Those years will be dedicated to your training and we, WD management, want our trainees to be focused on their work. We do not want to interfere with your life, but we had long before experienced the disadvantages of a rising star being in a relationship. Love can wait.

His professor handed him a pen as he happily nodded at him. He looks at his paper and shakes the thoughts of Bree in his head. She would’ve done the same if it was her, he thought. If she really cares about him she will understand, he assures himself. He took the pen and signed in his name.

And things began to change after that.

He hadn’t got the heart and time to explain everything to Bree. In fact he hasn’t told anything, just the fact that he started training so he will be very busy for the upcoming months.

His hard work paid off. He had been invited to a regular show that will be his stepping stone to success.

He had forgotten that today is their first year anniversary. He vaguely remembers the happiness he felt with her. No, nothing compares to the happiness of finally reaching for a dream he has long ago imagined and prayed for.

“Are you ready for your first ever solo interview?” his manager asks him and he just nodded.

“Just be yourself, everyone will love you.” But he doesn’t know who he is anymore. Long ago he is just some hardworking guy who dreams of becoming someone. Now that he already achieved that he doesn’t know how to act like his old self anymore.

His manager then pinned his mic and the time he went out for an interview a crowd of screaming fans greeted him. He is long ago accustomed to girls liking him, he had a fair share of ‘fans’ when he was still in school, but seeing them crowd in the audience it made his heart beat faster than normal.

The show went on smoothly like those he watched before from his television. He had told them a little about himself, about his past, about his parents and about how it has been his dream to become an actor. But then like every other interview there will always be that one question that can either make or break his career.

This was his; “We heard that you are dating a girl from your university is that true?”

He can’t find his voice after that, the crowd is already whispering after a few seconds of his silence.

“No, that isn’t true.” He lied.

“Then who is this girl who was with you months ago?”

He saw a picture of him and Bree laughing at a camera before they ride the ferris wheel. He remembered that clearly, it is the first and probably the last time he told her he loves her and mean it.

“She’s just a girl. We’re just friends.” He lied again and he felt his heart break down to pieces.

The crowd heaved a sigh of relief and the host started to talk again this time he chose not to hear her. Instead he searches for the crowd silently praying she hasn’t come there to surprise him for their anniversary. Even if she didn’t, she might have already seen it he thought. But he searched nevertheless.

A few seconds of searching and he found a familiar face. Her eyes overfilled with sadness. Her fists clenched up digging her nails deep in her hands. With a few long sighs she stood up and for a moment there he thought she will come down the stage and slap him but she didn’t.

She walked right through the exit and before leaving she glanced back at him, her eyes breaking him to pieces. He had braced himself for them, deciding not to go running after her.

When she finally realized he won’t be stopping her she forced herself to take a deep breath and then tightly shut her eyes in despair, falling apart right there before him.