Chapter Eight:

Francis groggily stood up and stared at the red digital bedside clock.

He deemed that it was time to leave England's house.

With a sigh and a heavy heart, the frenchman gently removed his hand from Arthur's grasp...Only to be pulled back down.

"Ngh, Francis...I'm cold and it's too early. Won't you stay a while longer?"

The boy was half asleep, but Francis happily complied.

"I'm still freezing you wanker." He buried his face into France's chest.

Francis chuckled and enveloped Arthur in his arms.

"Are you warm yet?"

"No."

He leaned in to kiss Arthur.

"How about now, Angleterre?"

"Mmm." He grunted in response, falling back asleep.

Maybe I won't leave today...Maybe today will be the day that I stay. Maybe today will be the start of something real.

Francis thought with a loving smile.

You see, Arthur Kirkland's immortal life was made up of regrets, and drunken confessions, and wars he never wish he'd fought in. It consisted of missed chances, and lost faith, and shattered dreams.

Yet no matter how hard the world tried to break Arthur Kirkand, Francis Bonnefoy was there to keep him human. He was always there to kiss his tears away, and make him laugh, and calm him down.

He was his anchor in the never ending turbulent sea of chaos that is infinity.

But as much as Arthur Kirkland was desperate and afraid, he was prideful.
He would never dream of asking for help.

So Francis would only come a few times a year to offer his services.

This time was different; for this time Francis would not leave before Arthur woke up. He was not going to pretend that nothing happened between the two.

This time Francis would stay.

And although neither of them knew it at the time, he would be well overstaying his initial invitation.

Every night for many decades to come, Arthur would sleep in that faded-blue baggy football jersey, and Francis would curl up beside him.

And to think that all of this amounted from a terrible happening to Arthur Kirkand in the summer of 1776.

Who would have possibly imagined, that something so beautiful could have sprung from something so tragic?

Yes. It is exponentially true how the world is cruel and unforgiving...But for two individuals who have cheated death more times than the seraphim themselves, the universe must have finally decided to let them be at peace.