Chapter 1.0 Introduction

1.1 Objective

The objective of this project was to create a system that would send a digital output to an assigned Light Emitting Diode using LabVIEW, depending on the command spoken into the microphone.

1.2 General Description

In this project, LabVIEW is used. LabVIEW is a graphical coding platform that is used by engineers to develop automated research, validation, and production test systems. LabVIEW is unique as traditional text coding is not used in this platform. In this case, LabVIEW is used for voice recognition. The code for this project that was used was created by Rahul M. Nair who had freely provided the code to the public. The code is designed to activate an indicator on the front panel when one of the following commands is spoken into the microphone: Left, Right, Forward, Backward, and Stop. Multiple steps were required to get the code to function and successfully activate the front panel Boolean indicators, which will be discussed in later chapters. The first goal of this project was to make Rahul's code work. Once the system worked, then it would enable the modifications on the code to work as well. The modifications that were performed was configuring Rahul's code to send digital outputs to LEDs on a hard breadboard. The LEDs would activate simultaneously as the front panel indicators.

1.3 Report Overview

The following topics regarding the LabVIEW Voice Recognition System will be discussed in this report:

· Literature Overview

· System Design

· Principles of Operation

· Results, Analysis, and Discussion

· Conclusion and Recommendations