Act 1·The Wisp· Prologue

It was the very break of spring when it happened; every creature of the forest would remember that. The snow had long disappeared to make space for early daises, and birds were back from their migration to claim once more the newly-green treetops and sing their lungs out in celebration. Every single year since forever that was the tune of the endless chasing seasons, just like thrilled sparrows in the meadow. It happens, however, that someone stumbles and interrupts the looping rhythm, making everyone else follow.

That year someone had utterly stumbled —if one could picture being born with a simple image— and that was funny if you had not even tried to stand yet. Still, the little foal knew he had stumbled, or else something had bumped into his muzzle. A few instants from his birth, the foal had learned a fundamental truth: life was the stumbling of one thing after another, and now he was part of that circle as well. Just grasping that truth was a draining experience, per se.

That was why the Forest was quiet, only to make the newborn unicorn foal rest. Unlike other creatures such as deer and horses, little unicorns were not supposed to stand as soon as they could, nor were they expected to open their eyes just yet and...do anything in fact. For those brief special moments, the little unicorn foal was able to make life itself wait for him. That was a luxury only baby unicorns could afford, since the world will have them to grow up all too quickly once fully awakened. But for now, the little foal could linger in his sweet drowsiness without a care in the world while his parents watched over him.

Hours passed by before the birds could sing again, very softly, careful to not hurt the sensitive ears of the baby unicorn. The subtle whispering and humming amused and stirred curiosity inside him, whose eyes were still sealed shut; his sense of smell, too, was not ready for all the different scents, so the flowers dotting the green mantle of the glade restrained themselves from blooming, waiting patiently for the earth guardian's consent.

The little unicorn didn't know he had quite famous parents, but as he enjoyed the gentle breeze caressing his fur and the soothing warmth of the ground below him, he did know that those first hours had been lovingly arranged for him and it made him feel content enough to smile.

Right beside the sleeping foal, his parents looked at each other and shared a smile; one of them rose and murmured a farewell, nuzzled the foal tenderly and turned away to disappear into the forest.