Chapter Five

My eyes became complete circles, my eyelashes running inside my body, almost as if they had a mind of their own.  My legs became tree trunks, frozen in a state of panic, and my words became slurred, the only response I could conjecture was, "Who... Who are you?"  Really, with all the smart remarks I've made over the duration of my life, you would think I could muster something a bit better than an interrogative tone with a first grade word choice.... Nonetheless, I couldn't bring my voice to a sardonic state, and I'm the God of that.

"Hey bud, a knife is nothing to a gun... Especially when you're five feet away!" While I was relieved to see someone on my side, Kim that is, who could actually gather the courage to speak up sarcastically against someone who I know realized could very well be my killer, and my Papa's, I was a bit angry at that last part she added... Because on cue, he took took two large leaps foward.

The loser looked Kim in the eye, " What about when we're inches apart? Think about it you dumb broad, your life could be over right now, I could end it right here." Hmm, I found his voice rather charming...

Other than the fact that he was a man, with a knife in his hand, threatening both me and the girl of whom I had intentions to ask out.  While this truly was my enigma to crack, I still found enough humor in the situation to point out one outrageous detail through a short-live chuckle, "Yeah, fine, kill each other.  Its truly my fight, but kill each other, helps me... Only spare Kim in the process would ya bud?"  It may have sound like a jerk thing to say, but believe me, I was proud of myself for speaking up in such a dangerous situation.

"Or how bout I kill you both instead!" His tone was rather canorous, oh wait, wrong definition of that my bad.. Um, well then I guess his tone would actually be one along the lines of something with hatred in it, seems to make sense.  He continued on while I flinched in fear as he wielded his dagged foward to a complete halt at shoulder level, "Johnny, is that what you go by now?"

It seemed like he expected an answer so I muffled out a reply in a raspy voice, "How -"

The loser cut my off! "The QUESTION WAS RHETORICAL you blasphemous little runt!"  He was yelling, I think he was going a bit too far with this whole angry mojo thing, all the while I had regained my ego, and again had become sarcastic.

"Ooo, a runt!" I mused, "That means I'm tasty now! Willie Wonka Candy! Yeah buddy!  And to whom am I blasphemous to?"

His pupils dilated, the whites of eyes gave way to red blood lines even in the faint light illuminating the room, again, he spoke with rage, "Its not you! You are not blasphemous young one! You are... By being a Layka, but its the whole family! Not JUST you."

Kim had grown quiet, looking off far into the distance, and nodding, what was she doing? Did she see something or someone? "Oh good, so I'm not alone in this manifest dynasty of craziness, thanks for making me feel at home, against I ask, who -"

"SILENCE! Your family has wronged us for oh so many years now, you are racist!"  Racist? What is he talking about, I pulled my head back, squinting my eyes and raising my eyebrows in a question. "YES! Racist, do not ACT surprised with words young one!" Why is he talking down to me?  Like when Peter (Family guy reference) started calling things shallow and pedantic?  Why was he calling me young one?  What a nut case. "Racist... Like Rush Limbaugh!"

"No..." I could take the crude insults, but being compared to Rush Limbaugh?  That was terrible, I wish he would've just stabbed me, instead of offering some mind boggling comparison here.

"Yes! And now, your family must pay!"  He began shouting once again, but now that I had my ego, nothing seemed to affect me, I just wanted to get on with my life.

So, in a Hardy Boy way, I asked, "Well then, you killed my Papa?"  Hmm, any second now Kim could just whip out her pistol again... Wait, I hadn't given any thought to it yet, but something must be up with that girl if she caries a pistol around... Anyways, I was glad she had it.

"Not I, young one.... I do not possess such honor, that position is too high for me, I was instructed to only kill you, and I must do this now!"  He dropped his dagger, what an odd gesture, if he was going to kill, wouldn't he - As soon as I thought that, he yanked the pistol away from Kim and immediately aimed it at me, what a ninja!

And then he dropped to the floor, and I saw it, a bullet just penetrated through his right wrist like it was paper, and his, or Kim's pistol dropped to the floor.  Warm red blood stained his jacket, and for the first time, my eyes locked on the floor, right under his head, was a message that read, "8411 Maple Street, attend, or else." A message for us? 8411 was the date my Papa was killed on... The number appears again!

Then I saw it, a man standing in the hallway that Kim had been staring at, the man who shot the bullet into that weird guys head, and he now spoke, "Young ones" There it is again, that term. "Come with me if you want to be safe, for now."

And it wasn't until now that I realized something odd was amiss, and I realized this was more than just one murder, there was something seriously wrong here. "But who was that guy who you, you, shot?" There goes my ego.

"One of them."  Them? Who was them?  I had no idea of this, but I was soon to find out.

The man gestured for us to follow him as we headed toward the rear of the house, and I thought that the man looked vaguely familiar, I couldn't place him though.  We arried in the Great Dining Hall, where I saw the poster of my Papa with Michael Jordan, he was very fond of the guy... He said they were brothers, albeit they had never, ever met before.  "What's going on?"  I had so many questions, this was just the tip of the iceberg.

The man sighed, and Kim looked like she wasn't troubled my any of this, but my teeth were clattering out of my mouth in fear.  "For this I can not tell you, I can not bestow any of the family secrets to you, I can only safely escort you back to college, and ensure safety from them."

"That helps! Whose them? Who... Who are you?"  I was terrified.

"Your turn will come when you find out what your ancestors did to get so rich... Years ago... But for now, lead a normal life, before you end up like your Papa."

"What about the dead loser on the ground over there?"  This made no sense, it seemed like a nightmare, or a work of fiction.

"Illegal citizen. No documentation, government don't know he exists.  I'll toss the body away, no big deal."

And since he said it in such a matter-of-fact tone of voice, I actually believed for a respite that everything was okay, and that this was no big deal.... Albeit, there wasn't a way that I could keep my mind from finding out about what was going on.

So as far as your concerned, I was going to come back to this house, with Kim, I might just need the pistol... Wait, she left it with the dead guy.  "Don't worry, I have more."  Kim said, but could she read my mind like that?

I pulled out my phone and texted her, "We are comin back here.  Just not for a long time.  Live a "normal" life for now."  We will be back, but first, time to take a stop at 8411 Maple Street.