Chapter Four

• Dedicated to Isaias F.

I stared at Kim, squeezing my face together, you know, when you squint, knit your eyebrows, and twirl your lips to the side?  Typically, its an act that would show confusion, or discontent, but in my case, it showed both as well as anticipation.  Come on, you have to understand all this,  I tried to hide my depression and anger of the previous four hours, albeit now I was just anticipating the moment of shock that would occur when my cousin Karina “unexpectedly” showed up at her friend Kim’s room, which was coincidental, the room I was currently located in.

Kim had that gleam in her eyes, the one that expresses sympathy but also makes you look overly cute? We’ve all made it before, haven’t we?  “Johnny, what on earth is wrong?  You look sad, and you have barely spoke in the past few minutes!”  She had that right, I was sad, and I was seldom to speak.

“Kim, nothing is wrong its just…” I had to quickly come up with a lie. “Its-Its just that I’m tired from this whole moving in thing, you know?” I grew more assertive with each word that came out of my mouth, I never got exhausted, but how was she to know that?

“Aww, I’m sorry.” What was it with girls thinking every single statement required some form of a noise that wasn’t even a word! Regardless, she continued. “How about we lay down and watch some TV?”

“Yeah sure, as long as we can talk, because I really want to get to know you, you know?”  This part was no lie, I can guarantee you at least that much.

“Oh gosh! You read my mind! Lets play the question game! You know, I ask a question, you answer, then you ask a question, and so on…” The idea was perfect, only I was aware of how tough it would be to create questions to ask.

Albeit, I had one on my tongue, “What are you majoring in here?”  For those of you illiterate people who are unaware with the American schooling system, a major is the field of studies you choose to go in when you enter college.

She condescended from a loving state to gravitas, “Forensic investigating, I want to put an end to all violence Johnny, I just don’t understand how someone could be heinous enough to go out and murder somebody. How could anyone  practice a draconian method like that?” I felt myself smile on the inside, I had a good new friend here who was going into forensic investigating, she could help me crack the case that is my Papa’s murder! “I’m sure classes for it will be tough though, cause like, we start classes tomorrow morning already, so I in like two hours I gotta get some sleep.”

A feeling of content pervaded my whole body, if I played my cards right, there was a chance I could get revenge on not only Trouble, but on my Papa’s killer as well!  Again though, it trouble as to where I should start the investigation, I took a pause for my cause, and turned on her TV set.  “Well Kim, that sounds pretty awesome, I’m in sport’s journalism, and that doesn’t start classes until next week I believe.” It was seven o’clock on a weeknight, nothing that interested me was on, so I flipped onto ABC for some nightly local news. “But our first basketball practice is tomorrow.”

“I love sports! I didn’t tell you this, but I’m actually on the volleyball team!  Isn’t tough to make the boy’s bball team here though?”  This girl was imbued with perfectness, and I don’t even care if perfectness isn’t a word, because by the time I’m done describing her, it will be.

“Yeah I heard that it is tough.” I stated in a matter-of-fact tone of voice. We now both glued our eyes to the TV as an awkward silence formed, I heard flip-flops marching down the hallway outside, so I imagined that my cousin was almost here.

“As you may have heard earlier, Kyle Layka was murdered in his Tuscon-“ It wasn’t the anchors fault, she was doing her job, but after hearing those words, I lost it and started sobbing, Kim wrapped me around the warm shelter that was her arms.

“Johnny, what on earth is wrong?”  Her lip quivered, almost as if my utter sadness transferred to her. “Did you know Kyle Layka or something?”

While I sobbed aloud, I realized that someone else was in the room crying as well, I turned around to find my cousin Karina in the apparently was never closed. “Yeah, he was my grand-father.” The more she hugged me, the less I sobbed, she was magical, nothing, I mean nothing, could ruin this moment.

“Johnny! How do you know Kim! And why are you in her arms!? Why are you here?”  Karina’s confused tone didn’t bother me, I had expected the onslaught of questions.

            I was about to answer, but before I could, Kim spoke for me. “Karina, he’s here because I love him, we’re good friends as of today.  I didn’t invite you so why are you here?”

            “Woah, woah, girls… We’re all friends here, no need to –“ I couldn’t believe this, but Kim was passionate towards defending me.

            “Stay out of this Johnny! Listen Kimberly, I just wanted someone to hang out with, I was lonely since my roommate is yet to move in, and my Papa was…” She couldn’t speak, she started to tear up, and then began to ball, and next thing I knew, we were stepping in puddles of water.  Seeing her tear up like that, made it so tough for me to bottle up my emotions.

            Kim’s voice broke though the hubbub of sadness, “Karina, if he’s both of your Papa’s does that mean that…” Her voice trailed off, as she realized she had recently kissed her best friend’s relative.

            I responded, a smirk painted cockiness on my face, “We’re cousins. Yes.”  Apparently, Karina’s show of publicly displaying her emotions was over, and she ran out of the room, and out of the dormitory completely.

            Sadly, I just watched her go, I didn’t chase after her, because a light bulb went off inside my head!  I thought, late tonight there would be no police at my papa’s home, if I was lucky, I could get Kim to drive me down there, maybe she had a car here. “Kim, do you have a car here at college?”

            She smiled, “Of course, how come?”  I must have made some gesture that would suggest that the answer pleased me, but I was unsure of what it was.

            “I need you to do me a huge favor!”  I said this, knowing that she would be okay with whatever I asked, people do stupid things when they see a boy they think is cute.

                                    **************

            Well, we took the two hour drive down to my Papa’s home in Tuscan, it was nice brown brick house, two stories high, plus a basement, and like every other home in the state, it had a pool.  Kim and I didn’t speak much on the car ride there, but I did realize her family must be loaded, mainly because her car was a Cadillac, and everyone knows how expensive those are.  She now spoke, “Since you didn’t tell me anything on the way here, what do wish to accomplish by coming here?” Her tone was doubtful.

            “There has to be some clues here.”  I said simply.

            “Johnny, I hope you know that I haven’t taken any classes yet, so if you’re expecting me to be of some assistance here then you are def-“ She drove, that was all the help I needed from her.

            “Nope, just look around inside with me will you?”  Thankfully, the police caution tape was only knee-high, so we easily high stepped that.  I felt my phone rumble in my pocket, Karina texted me, “Sorry I stormed out like that, want to come to my room?” I giggled, I was miles away from that broad.

            The oak door was unlocked, and the lights were on the ground floor inside, probably an attempt my the police to keep robbers out. We opened the door, took a few steps inside, looking around for anything, anything at all.

            My blood ran cold as I heard Kim shriek in fear, I turned to where she was pointing, and an African-American male stood about ten feet in front of us, smiling, with a knife, glistening in his hand. Adrenalin rushed through my veins, and I yelled “Kim! Leave! Save yourself!”  Wow, was I really that stupid?  I barely knew the girl for five hours, and yet I was valuing her life more than mine, sheesh…

            The man spoke, his voice evil and raspy, “Jonathan, you shall die, I want nothing with that broad whom you call Kim.”

            Well then, I guess I was going to die then, huh?