4. Monica, The Flight Risk

"Sit still," Mandy instructs, bent over my feet as she applies a maroon polish over my toe

"Sit still," Mandy instructs, bent over my feet as she applies a maroon polish over my toe. "Keep moving and it'll get on your skin–Or your carpet."

She gently blows on the wet paint as she screws the cap back on, her hair draped over her face. Concealing her agitated stare.

"Sorry," I mutter, although I hardly mean it. We've been on the floor of my room for an hour, doing each other's nails. "We've been down here forever."

"You're such a baby, Elizabeth." Mandy taunts, sitting back up. I'm laying down in front of her, giving her full control of my nails.

"You're one to talk," I playfully scoff back, pretending to be offended. A devious smile grows across my face as I wait for her reaction. "Amanda."

In retaliation, she sticks her tongue out at me. Proving my point.

"Ellie?"

I sigh and close my eyes at the muffled voice outside my door. Ian.

"You in there?"

Ughh. He only says my name like that when he wants something. It goes with all of my siblings, I swear it must be an extra gene.

"Yeah-huh." Opening my eyes, I sit up as he enters. Liam's bouncing in his arms, babbling away.

"Your turn." Ian gives a quick smile as he passes me the baby, like a little football. Unfortunately, he's in his ROTC uniform so I don't have a choice.

Ian paused before he ducks out, waving to Mandy. "Hey, Mandy."

She only laughs, offering a wave back before focusing her attention on the baby. Liam happily gurgles as he wraps his small hand around her finger.

"I like your house." Mandy grabs Liam from me, setting him on her lap. "I wish mine was like this."

My house? It's literally falling apart, that's not an understatement. The amount of times our water or gas has been shut off is outrageous too.

"Trust me." I dust myself off as I stand, careful of my wet toes. Mandy'll kill me if I ruin them. "It's not all rainbows and sunshine over here."

"Better than mine." Mandy gets up too, balancing Liam on her hip. He seems fascinated with her necklace, reaching for it like it holds the answers to all of his questions.

. . .

"Are you guys gonna make a baby while we watch Cosmos?" Carl grins as he asks Fiona, I have to squeeze through them to get to my seat. "Because that's gonna make me throw up."

Fiona wiggles her fingers at him, like she's haunting him. "Billions and billions of sperm!"

"Ew!" Carl spats, plopping down on the other chair in defeat. Grabbing a handful of burnt popcorn.