3. This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

I let out a soft groan after a thump from downstairs causes a loud flow of muffled chatter to flow throughout the house

I let out a soft groan after a thump from downstairs causes a loud flow of muffled chatter to flow throughout the house. So much for my nap.

I grab a sweatshirt off of my floor as I stumble into the hallway, yawning while chucking it over my head.

It's not out of the ordinary to hear yelling and thumping around this house. The real thing to be worried about is silence–Or Frank.

I jog down the stairs to investigate, rubbing the lingering drowsiness from my face as the voices get closer. "What the hell is going on?"

Everyone turns to glance at me when I reach the final step, but none of them really elaborate.

Frank's standing in the middle of the living room delivering some sort of speech, the whole family is loosely crowded around him. Even Kev, V, Karen–And some girl dressed in an 1800s ensemble has her head down in the corner.

"Daddy quit drinking," Debbie's voice is going a mile a minute, she can't seem to stand still. She's so antsy, she's bouncing in place like a little spring. "So we have to keep him busy so he can win three thousand dollars!"

"Exactly!" Frank claps, seemingly happy that at least one of his daughters is following his nonsense rambling as he continues to address the room. "That's why I'm going to need your help to get through this."

Get through what? Jesus, this day is a train wreck. My head is already spinning enough as it is, but I swear Debbie just said Frank's sober.

"From this point forward, we're going to be a family again."

Oh, for the love of god.

The rest of the night got . . . weird. But almost in a good way. We made an obstacle course to keep Frank busy, all of us were running around the house together before Frank discovered our piano. We even had a brief sing-along before Lip stormed out to walk Karen home. He had been acting pissy all night.

Debbie finally came down from her sugar high and crashed on the couch a little bit ago, so did Carl. Turns out that girl dressed in Amish clothing is Kev and V's new foster kid. To pay off Veronica's parking tickets.

Even now, it's actually quiet. The night was almost surreal. Frank was acting like an actual decent human being, laughing as he chased Debbie and Carl.

It was all fun and games until Lip got pissed off. He had been watching Frank all night with a silent cold stare.

As soon as we started singing along with Frank, he got up and stormed out. Said something about us buying into Frank's bullshit.