Chapter Seventeen

Six Years Ago...

Days had gone by and the house was full of life. As they all prepared for Christmas Eve, Marshall was still in cahoots about Brooklyn. She had ignored him, making him feel the need to grab her by the arm and pull her towards him, claiming her lips in a fiery kiss.

Which was what he did that night, in front of the family. It had been a wonderful moment, his heart was beating like crazy, but it didn't seem to do the same for her. Or at least, that's what he thought.

For a moment, their eyes met in a tender moment, showing that the kiss had affected them in the most passionate way. Something even Marshall couldn't seem to comprehend. He was falling for her, and his heart was doomed to be broken.

Brooklyn came to her senses and ran to her room, leaving him there as her sister stood from the couch to follow her. He wasn't sure what they talked about in that room, but he hoped it wasn't anything that could ruin it all.

He excused himself and walked out of the house, heading towards the barn on the cool winter night. Running his hand through his hair, he cursed himself for being an idiot.

How was he expecting her to react? Did he want her to throw herself in his arms and kiss him back senselessly?

Sitting on a small stool, he sighed.

"You are such an idiot, Marshall. That woman had left you heartbroken and you're just taking it out on an innocent one," he scolded himself, leaning his head against the horse stall.

"Marshall?" he heard Brooklyn call, her eyes holding a glint that made her look even more beautiful under the dimmed lights of the barn. With a swift move, he stood from the stool, clearing his throat as he tried to keep his composure. "I'm sorry for running out on you like that. You caught me by surprise."

"No, I should be sorry. It was inappropriate to have kissed you like that, especially with everyone looking at us."

Brooklyn stepped closer, looking up at his beautiful eyes. "She broke your heart, didn't she? Your ex didn't care."

"I don't want to talk about it, Brooklyn."

"But I do. I want to know what is keeping you from loving someone, or at least from accepting that someone can be your friend."

The cowboy scoffed, wanting to step away from her, but as soon as he tried, she held his strong forearm with her delicate hand. "Please, let me in. I don't know what she did to you, and I don't care. But you have to stop living in the past and focus on the future. You have a wonderful family, a lovely sister who would give her life for you. I know you don't have your parents..."

"Who told you that?" he asked, getting upset.

"I must have overheard it. The point is, despite how rude you were when we met, I liked you. I have only a few days, Marshall, and then I'll be going back home. Let's just make the most of it, shall we?"

Seeing her eager eyes did something to him. Brooklyn sounded and looked genuine in his eyes.

He smiled and nodded. "Okay, let's make the most of it." Extending his hand to her, she quickly grabbed it before he led her towards the other barn, where the skating rink was. In the corner, dimmed lights shone down something covered with a sheet.

"I wanted to show you this. It has been a while since we've used it, but wanted you to feel how I feel every time I get on that bull."

Brooklyn's eyes widened in surprise as Marshall uncovered the mechanical bull, grabbing her by the waist and lifting her on top. "It doesn't work, but at least you'll know what we go through. Even if this is not as high as one of them. It's frightening, but exciting all the same," he chuckled.

"This is amazing. Would you get on with me?" she offered, shocking herself for making such a suggestion. She was acting boldly with him, but she could say it was his aura that made her trust him.

Without hesitation, Marshall smiled and hopped on from behind, his chest pressed on her back, making her heart race. The warmth of his body made her skin shiver and her hair rise in the back of her neck.

"Now, you put your hand here, pretend it is the rope. We tie it around the palm and tighten it. Just so we don't fall too quickly..." As he explained the basics of Bull riding, Brooklyn's mind was in his deep voice and his hard body pressed against hers.

"... and there you have it. The other hand is raised in the air, and as the bull moves back and forth, your body moves the opposite way. Bull forward, body back, bull backward, body forward. And so on."

"That's interesting," she chuckled. It was a magical moment in her eyes, and one she would never forget.

"It's just how it all works. Nothing too crazy."

Brooklyn boldly snuggled against him, turning her head to look into his blue eyes, deep and humble. A trait only a good man could have.

"You're handsome and kind, Marshall. I can feel how strong you are as well. I want you to kiss me again," she whispered, her lips close to his as he turned to look at her.

He didn't have to be told twice as he leaned to close the distance, their lips meeting in a tender kiss, molding into each other perfectly. The desire and passion poured through their hearts, both of them giving it their all as the kiss turned heated, his arms tightening around her possessively.

She didn't mind feeling like he owned her, because at that moment, she was the happiest woman in the world. She felt loved, cherished and safe.

"You're an angel. My angel," Marshall whispered in her ear as he pulled away from the kiss. At that moment, the heat in Brooklyn's body arose, and in a swift motion, she turned herself around, facing Marshall with lustful eyes as she unbuttoned his shirt, followed by his tank top.

Feeling the urge to belong to each other, in no time, they were naked on top of the mechanical bull, surprised at the flexibility in which they were able to manage such a move.

With the sun setting in the distance, they gave into each other; heart, body and soul and no one but themselves as witnesses.

Not wanting to end it just yet, they had made love one last time in the hay loft, where they thought everything would be perfect, until that one argument ended it all, forcing her to leave and never come back.

Or so she thought, for she never imagined life would throw a curve at her later on...