Chapter Thirteen

Marshall never thought when meeting Brooklyn, he would find himself in this current situation. It was all supposed to be a fun Christmas, helping the family and celebrating. 

   He was meeting his cousin's friends, not falling head over boots for one of them, or spending most of the holidays alone with her. 

   Now, he found himself standing in the barn, looking down at a defiant woman as he tried to control his impulse. Oh, how he longed to push her against the wall, grab her by the hips and press her against his body to show her how much she was affecting him. 

   "That's fine. All for that little girl in there. But if it was for me, you would have gone the same way you came."

   "I highly doubt it. You might be mad at me or have a sour mood, or whatever you'd like, but you don't have the heart to turn anyone away," Brooklyn challenged, trying to keep up with the quick, unsteady steps he was making towards the house.

   Afraid to say something he might regret, he just ignored her and kept going until they finally reached the front porch, Marshall slowly making it up the steps. 

   The sudden stop made Brooklyn bump into his broad back, almost falling backwards and hitting the ground, but before it happened, she felt a strong arm wrap around her waist and pull her back safely. 

   Finding herself eye to eye with the cowboy, her breathing had turned heavier, and nothing else existed but them in that porch, gazing at each other, lips inches away and hair rising in excitement as each other's touch sent alarm through their bodies.

   Kiss me and let's forget all of this happened, she thought as she held his arms to steady herself. 

   "We should go inside. I'm sure you're tired from the long trip," he said, letting her go before he opened the screen door for her, taking his cowboy hat off. Her heart skipped several beats, cursing herself for still having those feelings–that had been dormant–surface again. 

   "Thank you," she said softly, entering the house. What she saw was nothing short of extraordinary. The entire place had a mixture of both a bachelor and a family. Kicking her shoes off in the mudroom, with Marshall following behind, she walked into the kitchen, which seemed as if Sophia had been the one to decorate it. There was a small four person wooden table in the middle with a flower patterned tablecloth, covered by a plastic one.

   Reminded her of how her mother had hers the same way just so Bexley and her didn't ruin it. 

   The curtains were a soft lavender, and they went down long, falling on the counter, which she thought might be the reason they were tied to the side, to avoid them getting wet. And the appliances were old fashioned, but fully functional. It felt like home.

   To her left was a living room, which had all the amenities for a man. A leather couch and recliner, oak coffee table in front of the fireplace, and a TV nailed to the wall right on top. 

   Pictures of clipped newspaper articles of his rodeo days and trophies were scattered around the room, and there was even a cow print rug on the floor. 

   It must be his own little world, she thought. 

   Marshall cleared his throat to get her attention, leading her to the kitchen, where Abilene and Sophia were enjoying their treats, chatting and laughing about random topics. 

   "Daddy!" She squealed as soon as she saw him, hopping off her chair–almost tripping in her boots–before she ran towards him, wrapping her little arms around his waist and squeezing as hard as she could. A lump formed in his throat, his eyes almost watering before he fought back to keep the tears at bay.

   The feeling was like no other, and it was strange for him. But he was a tough cowboy, he couldn't have any weaknesses or show any soft emotions. Or at least, that's what he thought.

   Who knew he would be standing here, with a little girl hugging him, and his heart beating like a galloping horse on a race? 

   It felt... wonderful, special.

   Clearing his throat again, he closed his eyes, giving into the little girl's affection as he painfully crouched down and wrapped his strong arms around her. 

   A soft giggle escaped her lips, and that was enough for him to melt against her, holding her tightly and not wanting to let her go. 

   The sight made Brooklyn smile with tears in her eyes as she turned around and wiped them away before he noticed. She wasn't expecting for him to quickly give in to her hugs, but in all truth, who couldn't resist such an adorable little girl?

   "Well, little one..." he said, when she interrupted him.

   "My name is Abilene. Not little one," she giggled, covering her mouth with one hand shyly before she kissed his stubbled cheek. "Your hug was comforting and warm. Thank you."

   Pulling away, she joined Sophia–who pretended not to pay attention, but her smile said otherwise–and they both resumed their sweets. With one glance at Brooklyn's direction, he put his hat back on and walked out to the porch, hoping if he put distance between him and Abilene, he would be able to breathe. 

   As he looked at the horizon–his many miles of acreage being caressed by the sun–he had no doubt that little girl was his daughter. DNA was surely needed, but he could feel it in his bones that she was his. 

   Hearing the screen door open, he knew who was behind him and a surprisingly soft smile made its way to his lips. She was back to him, even if she denies only doing this for their daughter. Brooklyn Evans was back in his life. 

   But other thoughts clouded his mind.
He remembered the promise he made in his mind to himself and to her, and his expression turned sour once again as he looked at her, discreetly gazing at her bare feet. Beautiful red polished toes and pale skin made him think on the many ways he could bring her to total pleasure through them.

   "Marshall, are you okay?" Brooklyn asked, reaching for his arm, wanting to feel him, wanting to touch him. "I'm sorry about all this. I hope our arrival isn't an inconvenience, but I had to do it."

   "Yes, after so long, you had to," he retorted, turning to face her. "You can stay here for as long as you want, but get this clear, Brooklyn. I will get to know her," he pointed at the door towards Abilene. "But you and I won't have anything else to do with each other."

   Seeing Brooklyn's expression made him feel guilt for talking to her in that manner, as she nodded, swallowing the big lump in her throat and blinking her tears away. 

   "I didn't mean to hurt you, Marshall..."

   "No conversation about us either. Sophia will lead you both to a guest room so you can rest. Tomorrow I will show her around the ranch and answer any questions she might have about me. But..." he breathed. "The only conversation we'll have is about Abilene. Nothing else. Are we clear?"

   Brooklyn nodded again. "As you wish."

   "Glad we have an understanding. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a horse that needs exercise."

   Marshall limped down the stairs, groaning softly and made his way back to the barn while Brooklyn stood at the edge of the steps, leaning against the railing and hugging herself. 

   "What the hell am I doing?" Marshall muttered to himself, taking his hat off and slamming it against his thigh as he ran his hand through his dark hair in frustration. "You will regret this, Marshall Redd. Every bit of this."