Chapter Three

"Well, looks like you've found a new hideout." A familiar voice chuckled, referring to the café.

"Well, what can I say? It has a homey feel to it." I turned around and smiled at Cooper, who had his hands in his back pockets and was wearing a red sweatshirt.

"You know what? My family is having a bonfire. Pretty much everyone in town is going. You should come."

I gave him the what-if-you're-a-murderer look.

"C'mon Andy! We've been over this. Just come." He urged.

"I'll consider it. But I really have a lot of work to do." I gestured to the large stack of papers in front of me. "And what about this monster storm?"

"It's clear for tonight. We had some nice firewood stashed away."

"I guess I could stop by..." I trailed off.

"Great." He said cooly and flashed a Colgate-worthy smile.

For some reason, I felt tingles in the pit on my stomach. The heat rose to my cheeks.

"So what is so important about this whole job thing? I mean, I know you have a big job, but why does it mean so much?"

"There's one position that I've been fighting so hard for... the only way to grasp it is to focus all of my time to get it. Getting that job means so much to me... you don't even understand."

"What job is it?" He looked puzzled, biting his lip he tilted his head to the side.

"Business Operations Manager." I replied and closed my vanilla colored folder while I took a sip of my drink.

"Sounds... businessy."

I held back a laugh, trying to avoid spewing my drink across the room. "Well, it is business operations manager. So yes, it has everything to do with business."

He looked proud. "I knew it" he smiled proudly, like a child who had accomplished riding a bike for the first time.

"Well-" I stopped myself from saying 'it has business in its title. It's too obvious' but let him have his moment of pride.

He snatched a napkin off of a random waitress's tray, earning himself a scowl, and scrawled something on it before shoving it into my hands.

"I have to go, but that's my number and address. See you tonight." He winked and hurried off.

What did I get myself into?

• • • •

I slowly, yet nervously, got out of the rental car I had gotten earlier that day. Walking closer to the large house's large backyard, I pulled my jacket around me.

I had on dark blue, well-fitting blue jeans and a plain white teeshirt.

I saw the radiant light that was glowing from the ginormous fire. Lots of people huddled around socializing and hanging out. They younger age group of teenagers was off in another part of the yard. The boys tackling each other whilst playing football, and the girls drooling over them. Pointing out who was the most handsome or muscular or athletic.

I took in the whole scenery. There were a lot of trees behind the house and yard, a big red barn was situated near the woods and I heard slight whinnies and neighs. There was a pool by the back patio, one part blocked off for swimming laps. The patio flooring was made out of a crystalized looking glass and it shimmered under the spotlights. Then I saw him.

I first noticed Cooper sipping a drink out of a solo cup, then, standing beside of him were two adults who were engaged in a deep conversation with another couple their age. One woman tossed her head back in laughter, her blonde curls falling back in a bounce. The men seemed to be engaged in a conversation concerning sports or athletics.