Ch. 1 - The Start of A New Era

The year was a first towards peace. Shinobi around had agreed to set aside their differences for the sake of a new goal - peace. Along with that peace came the establishment of hidden villages. Those who were like-minded banded together whilst stragglers chose to wander off.

"Today we come to christen the land that will serve as the foundation for Takigakure, the village hidden by a waterfall."

A crowd gathered around as their leader, Tatsuo, spoke in front of a massive tree. As the adults rallied behind him, a young eight-year-old girl with kinky navy blue hair stood behind her war-beaten father. There weren't many children in the crowd, however she spotted a familiar face on the other side. With a small smile, she waved at him, however the boy wore a sullen expression and ignored her. She wanted to approach him, but the crowd began to move and she lost sight of him.

The village was nearly built in the span of a week. Small huts sprung up sporadically, all while the village head's home was constructed. Their land was protected by nature - it stood on a large cliff surrounded by trees and the only way in and out was through an extensive cave system. Along with construction came the training of new shinobi. Although peace had just been established, it was only a matter of time before war would break out again and the village couldn't take any chances.

"Kakuzu-chan! Wait up!"

A nine-year-old young boy with short, unkempt brown hair and green eyes stopped walking down the dirt path of the village and turned around.

"Do you need something, Risa?"

The navy haired girl smiled as she caught up to him and the two proceeded to walk together. They were heading off to train in the main hall of the village leader's home.

"Did ya eat today?" Risa asked as she kicked at a loose pebble. "If not, I have an extra apple in my bag."

"Yes, I ate."

"Did ya get in a fight with a bear? Your hair's messier than usual..."

"If you don't like my presence then stop walking with me."

Risa laughed and clasped her hands behind her back. "Relax, I'm just messing with ya. Lighten up a little."

"It's easy for you to 'lighten up'. Both of your parents are still alive." Kakuzu frowned at her statement and continued walking.

"That's not fair." Risa grabbed his arm. "If you're going to get mad at me, at least let it be about something that's in my control."

Kakuzu's eye twitched with irritation and he yanked his arm out of her grasp, then promptly pushed her down into the mud. Risa stared at him in shock as he turned around before immediately getting up and shoving him back. She knew he had a violent temper that he never put any restraints on, however she wasn't going to excuse his actions. The two tussled with each other until the village head came out and stopped them, prying Kakuzu's hand off Risa's face and the latter's hand out of the boy's hair in annoyance.

Training went on as scheduled, however once it was over, Kakuzu and Risa had to sit outside Tatsuo's home on their knees in the gravel and hold a heavy rock over their heads as punishment until they were allowed to leave. Honestly, Risa was more annoyed that she had dried mud caked in her hair than the punishment at hand.

"There has to be a better way to manage your anger." She huffed. "Ever thought of meditation?"

"I'd prefer if you just left me alone."

"So you can continue acting like a grumpy old fart? No thanks."

Kakuzu glanced at the girl beside him. "What's it matter to you anyway?"