4

"Her royal highness, princess Eleanor." I was announced to Edward, Earl of Arundel and the heir to his father, the Duke of Norfolk.

Both were premier in their respective titles in the United Kingdom, and I knew it was my parents' greatest wish for me to marry Edward and get the highest title-holder in our nobility.

"It's lovely to see you again, my lord." I gave him a smile, watching as he bowed deeply before taking my hand into his and bringing it up to his lips.

We had spent a great deal of time together when we had been children due to our fathers being very close friends, and I therefore knew him and his family very well.

"As it is you, your royal highness," he returned my smile, straightening up and then turning to my parents. "Your majesties," he bowed to them too.

"You've sprouted into a fine young man," my father praised. I let my eyes scan over the throne room where this annual debutante ball was always held. This castle wasn't far from the palace, located at the edge of the city.

The debutantes had been brought forth for my parents, having started with me. With everybody now mingling, I stood by my parents and was introduced to all the men they had requested join us.

"I've finished my master's in political science," he told my parents proudly, definitely sparking their interest even further, "I'm joining the Royal Air Force after the summer."

"How accomplished," I heard the sugary adoration in my mother's tone, "isn't he, Eleanor?"

"Yes," I agreed quietly, focusing on one particular couple in the middle of the room, holding each other close and giggling at whatever they were whispering to each other.

That was the kind of connection I wanted, not a connection based on title and however accomplished someone was in society and life. They weren't being whispered about or stared at, they were able to act in such a way without concern for anything other than each other.

I excused myself, curtsying quickly in front of my parents before making my way down the steps from their thrones.

I decided to go find Olga, knowing she had just been announced as a debutante and was somewhere around here. I had been introduced to dozens of young men, all ready to cut off their leg in order to secure a place with the crown princess and a seat on the throne. They all bored me, fake to the point of absurdity.

As I made my way past the guests, everyone making way for me and curtsying and bowing as I passed, I was suddenly stopped with a hand grabbing onto my wrist.

"Ellie."

I sighed at the familiar voice and turned to find Henry offering me a soft smile. His hand was quickly removed from mine by Christian, who reminded him without words that I wasn't to be touched unless I offered my hand first. I hadn't noticed the hunk of a man following me, but definitely didn't mind right now.

"Your royal highness," he bowed, realising people were watching.

"My lord," I cleared my throat, discreetly motioning for Christian to give us a little space. He took a step back, but I felt his eyes unwaveringly and quite distractingly burning into me.

"Can I please speak to you in private?" Henry lowered his voice and leaned closer. I raised my brows at him challengingly, definitely not amused with him even speaking to me. "Please, Ellie. I can't throw away these past two years because of a stupid mistake."

"Your parents are mad you're no longer dating the princess?" I tilted my head at him, tone laced with sarcasm. He was quick to shake his head, assuring me that this wasn't the case and that he needed to explain himself.