chapter 5

it was meeting time. everyone in 13 gathered in the big room. coin walked up to the mic on the balcony above us.

"good afternoon. thank you for interrupting your schedules. they have already been adjusted to compensate for the delay..." coin said. i looked around at the people in the meeting.

"i hardly ever see any children around here," i whispered to Bri.

"a lot of them were lost in an epidemic a few years ago. coin lost her family too. daughter and husband." Bri whispered back. an epidemic? like the flare? i kind of feel bad for coin.

"...Maddie Everdeen has consented to be the face of our cause to help unite the districts against the capitol. in exchange, i have promised several concessions..." coin said. i saw finnick standing a little bit away. i started to move over towards him.

"...first we'll assess all opportunities for the extraction of the victors held hostage in the capitol. peeta mellark, johanna mason, and annie cresta." coin stated. everyone clamored about it. i reached finnick.

"finnick i made the deal for annie too." i said.

"once freed they will be granted full pardon for any and all crimes committed against the rebel cause." coin stated. everyone started to shout in disagreement now. finnick looked at me.

"good. that's good maddie." finnick said smiling

"if maddie everdeen fails to fulfill her duties the deal will be off. thank you for your attention. please resume your daily schedules." coin said. and with that everyone started to leave.

***

i walked into the cafeteria with gale. i saw a familiar woman sitting at a table.

"effie?" i said surprised. i ran up to her and hugged her.

"what are you doing here?" i asked

"i'm a political refugee." she said

"plutarch rescued you?" i asked

"rescued yes that's what he calls it. you and i were both in the dark. now i'm condemned to this life of jumpsuits. it is wonderful to see you again. can you believe this place? i miss coffee. i never knew any place could be so strict. i mean i thought at least in the higher ranks there'd be some side action. i miss my wigs. luckily i remembered that this was all the rage when i was coming up. you know everything old can be made new again. like democracy. which brings me to this" effie said. she pulled out a notebook. i opened it revealing beautiful drawings of a mockingjay outfit.

"cinna" i said. i ran my hand over the drawings.

"he's dead isn't he?" i asked

"yes dear. he made plutarch promise not to show you this until you decided to be the mockingjay on your own. he knew the risks. as we all do. he believed in this revolution. he believed in you" effie said. i continued flipping pages. sketches of a woman who looked exactly like me wearing mockingjay outfits of his design.

"they're beautiful." i said

"they have it. they have the mockingjay outfit. there's not much of a prep team here in 13 but we will make you the best dressed rebel in history." she said.

***

i stood in a room. i was wearing the mockingjay suit. i had my arrows on my back. my bow in one hand and a pole in the other. my hair was in the usual braid and i had makeup on. i got on the podium and turned around. effie walked up to me with something in her hand.

"cinna's final touch" she said. and then she pinned the mockingjay pin on my suit.

"everyone's either gonna wanna kiss you, kill you, or be you." effie said then she walked off.